Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford exec: Japanese hogging hybrid parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:39 AM
Proud to be GM
Default Re: Ford exec: Japanese hogging hybrid parts

Originally Posted by lakedude
I agree. After taking a second look at BAS it does seem to have some merit. I wouldn't call it a hybrid with a straight face but the idea is a sound one. Since a BAS takes the place and saves the cost of both the starter and the alternator it should be a very cheep and easy mod (so why don't we have zillions of them on the road by now?).
The way it is being deployed by GM, BAS is not an easy mod. It still has to be integrated with a multitude of existing vehicle systems. There is regen braking with the GM application. There is also work being done to ensure that steering, braking, AC operation, and other electrical functions are still available even when in engine off mode.

Peace,

Martin

Old 06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fernando_g
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Europeans are considering legislation for ALL vehicles to have at least an auto-stop feature, which in its simplest way is a BAS.
Where did you hear that?
cant say i've heard that one, but it doesnt surprise me.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by DeepMarket
Where did you hear that?
cant say i've heard that one, but it doesnt surprise me.
I vaguely remember reading about some sort of legislation to that effect. I don't know if it passed, however. But it's an awesome idea. BAS adds about !5% to FE, costs under a grand in hardware, and cuts emissions significantly.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I vaguely remember reading about some sort of legislation to that effect. I don't know if it passed, however. But it's an awesome idea. BAS adds about !5% to FE, costs under a grand in hardware, and cuts emissions significantly.
Thats excellent. now will the rest of the world follow suit...