Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford hybrid sales stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:29 AM
YA RLY.
Default Ford hybrid sales stall

From today's Autobeat Daily

Ford Motor Co.’s effort to sell gasoline-electric hybrids is stumbling, prompting higher incentives to sell the once-hot vehicles, according to today’s Wall Street Journal.

It says Ford built 19,000 hybrids last year and sold 17,000. But sales this year through February have totaled only about 2,200 units. Ford has doubled cash rebates on its hybrids to as much as $1,000. The company hopes a one-time federa tax credit for hybrid buyers that started Jan. 1 will spur demand.

Ford entered the segment in 2004 with the Escape hybrid SUV and last year added the Mariner hybrid SUV. The company hopes to sell 250,000 hybrid vehicles by 2010. Right now, it has 9% of the U.S. hybrid market.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford hybrid sales stall

Don't most auto sales slump Jan-Feb anyway? I thought late spring-summer was the meat of the buying season.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Engineering first
Cool Re: Ford hybrid sales stall

Originally Posted by Sledge
I'm sorry to hear this but we always wondered why a minivan was not the follow-up hybrid electric. We had been watching the Toyota hybrid minivan, Estima, closely and several years ago, I sent an e-mail to Toyota America asking to be on the list.

Compared to an SUV:
- minivans can be used by businesses to haul stuff and make deliveries
- minivans attract 'value' buyers vs. 'muscle' owners
- minivans are entered horizontally versus 'climbing up' or 'squating down'
- more space for larger, batteries and EV only mode

As a general rule, minivans, all vans, maximize the volume and longest dimensions to weight ratio. Thus large sized loads can be protected from the weather. Only pickup trucks haul larger loads by sacrificing weather and security.

Now I can appreciate that hybrid SUVs and large luxury cars address the least fuel efficient vehicles. But I also associate SUV and luxury vehicle buyers with those having the least concern about fuel costs and efficiency. A hybrid hummer looks like an oxymoron gathering no respect.

One of my speculations is the thought of blue-printing a Prius engine-transaxle and installing it in a Scion xB or VW minivan. This would be a hybrid-electric, microvan with great utility and excellent efficiency. My wife and I could then go on camping-vacations and not think about the price of gas.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 03-07-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

A continuation of the story:
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...oogle&keyword=

Old 03-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sledge
Thats really sad for the ford article, I like the idea of a hybrid mini-van!
When Hybrids were first coming out there was talk of a hybrid 6cyl & 8cyl.
the 6 would get the same milage of a 4cyl & the 8 would get the same as a 6cyl.

lol I guess I'll be dead before that happens......

Old 03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ford tries to jump-start hybrid SUVs

Detroit News article about $1k rebate on FEH.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

That's surprising. I wonder if it's brand related. (Like all US cars aren't selling well.)

Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

On the positive side, hopefully the extra rebate will close the gap tightly on the "hybrid premium" and spur potential buyers who were either on the fence, or heading towards non-hybrid SUVs, to go ahead and purchase the FEH.

The FEH was the first hybrid SUV we test drove, and it was that test drive that convinced my fiancee to look at hybrids more closely, rather than just buy a non-hybrid SUV. But, as Pravis Prime alluded to, she balked at the Ford brand and the more masculine looks of the FEH, so we went with Toyota.

Rick

Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it's more about name brand and February sales in general. Also, people have adjusted to the higher gas prices. If the prices go up again, you'll see a big jump in sales.

All hybrid sales are down the past few months, but I expect they'll pick up again soon.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeD
I think it's more about name brand and February sales in general. Also, people have adjusted to the higher gas prices. If the prices go up again, you'll see a big jump in sales.

All hybrid sales are down the past few months, but I expect they'll pick up again soon.
maybe a bunch of people have noticed that, unlike the prius, ford's hybrid does NOT drive the a/c electrically ... that would make a BIG difference to me as a potential buyer. penny-wise, pound-foolish, sales plummet.
+af

Quick Reply: Ford hybrid sales stall

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands