Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid cars may pose risk to rescuers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Engineering first
Talking Hybrid cars may pose risk to rescuers

. . .
By Patti Dobranski
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 20, 2006

Fireman Shawn Stitely does not want to be electrocuted cutting into a hybrid car to rescue a passenger trapped inside. Hybrid cars use an electric motor working in synergy with a gasoline engine to power the vehicle and save on fuel costs. Hybrid cars pack a 245-volt punch and some hybrid-charged sport-utility models use a 650-volt system.

That has raised fears that the system could electrocute an unwitting rescuer who cuts into a wrecked hybrid when its cut-off switch fails and electricity is still coursing through a cable routed under the passenger compartment. Another concern is that the jolt could also kill the people inside the car. . . .
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-.../s_445548.html

At last, justification for a custom license plate and something to shake off the tailgaters:

HYBRID HIGH VOLTAGES!
47FY1234
DANGER-KEEP 100 FT. AWAY!
PASS CAREFULLY! KEEP DISTANCE!

Add a flashing Red and Yellow LED set in the plate holder . . . this could work. We'll scare the BeJezus out of the tailgating SUVs.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-20-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid cars may pose risk to rescuers

I don't think the high voltage lines should pose much of a threat, as they are wrapped in bright orange plastic tubing, near the fuel lines on the bottom of the car (I can't imagine rescue workers would want to cut through fuel lines, either). Also, most are designed with a failsafe to disconnect completely in the event that the airbag goes off. Finally, those lines should only actually have a live DC current if the battery is discharging or charging.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 PM

If you want to ward off tailgaters, I think the only effective measure will be a huge "RADIATION HAZARD" sign, and some evidence that you aren't kidding. The hybrid drivetrain was designed with rescue workers in mind, and may pose a small threat but only in the case of extreme malfunction.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Joe Go Slow!

My brother is a volunteer firefighter, and he recently went through "hybrid rescue" training. He was told that a burning Prius is safe to spray with a fire hose, but a Civic hybrid (and many others) do run the risk of electrocuting the firefighters.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM

I wonder if toyota sponsored the training

Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First Responder Guide provided by Ford regarding its Ford Escape Hybrid:
Ford Escape Hybrid Emergency Response Guide

I'm sure the other manufacturer's have compiled similar guides. I inquired with my local fire department and they have a whole CD-ROM based training curriculum for their firefighters and other first responders.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:03 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by GeekGal
First Responder Guide provided by Ford regarding its Ford Escape Hybrid:
Ford Escape Hybrid Emergency Response Guide

I'm sure the other manufacturer's have compiled similar guides. I inquired with my local fire department and they have a whole CD-ROM based training curriculum for their firefighters and other first responders.

Very cool.

This is for the most part one of those non-issues that gets circulated every now and then by the media. Seriously, I think this if the fifth time in the last 10 months this story has been run.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:01 AM

Here's a whole list of them:

Clicky

And this covers Hondas up thru and including 2005

Clicky

I haven't found one for the HCH2 yet.

Last edited by blinkard; 04-21-2006 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added link to Honda 2005 guide
Old 04-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
Here's a whole list of them:

Clicky

And this covers Hondas up thru and including 2005

Clicky

I haven't found one for the HCH2 yet.
Wow, that's really interesting. I learned quite a bit about my car (HCH1)! ...especially about the battery pack. One question remains (WAY off topic)-- the battery pack is smaller than the entire width of the back seat, so why could they not have designed a little ski-hole type thing into the seat? The one in my parent's 2000 Accord is very convenient....

Anyway, it's good to know the rescuers CAN safely get to me if something goes wrong!
--A

Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Adelwyn
. . . One question remains (WAY off topic)-- the battery pack is smaller than the entire width of the back seat, so why could they not have designed a little ski-hole type thing into the seat? . . .
Speculation on my part but I'm wondering if there is a Civic with a split, fold-down back seat? Perhaps you might be able to:
  • dismount the battery pack (DO IT SAFELY)<
  • install split seat backs and hinges<
  • lock one-side in place to hold the battery pack<
  • mount the battery pack (SAFTEY) <
This would give you some extra length for some odd-sized loads. If the battery pack goes on the driver side of the car, your passenger might be able to recline for a cat-nap.

Just idle speculation.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Hybrid cars may pose risk to rescuers

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands