Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Japan Proposes to Bury Carbon Dioxide

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Japan Proposes to Bury Carbon Dioxide

Interesting article:

Japan hopes to slash greenhouse gas emissions and fight global warming with a revolutionary plan to pump carbon dioxide into underground storage reservoirs instead of releasing it into the atmosphere, an official said Monday.

The proposal aims to bury 200 million tons of carbon dioxide a year by 2020, cutting the country's emissions by one-sixth, said Masahiro Nishio, an official at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. Introduced last month, the plan is still under study.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060626/...eenhouse_gas_1

This is an interesting idea.

Last edited by Mr. Kite; 06-26-2006 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Japan Proposes to Bury Carbon Dioxide

So if we send George Bush to his underground bunker, then pump in the CO2, we'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 PM

It's not actually that 'revolutionary' of an idea- carbon sequestration, while not very common yet, has been tried before. Many people think it's going to be a big part of the fight against global warming, and certainly it makes a kind of logical harmony- we pumped out the oil, now lets pump the CO2 back down there. My opinion is that it could be a great thing.

However, there are a few issues which this article only touches on, and a few others that it doesn't even mention. First is cost- underground gas storage is really expensive, because gas escapes pretty easily, can combust, and is hugely voluminous. If it's liquid, that's easier, but you have to keep it cold. Second is safety- earthquakes, fires, who knows what could cause the release of the trapped gas, and aside from the obvious waste of time, mony and effort all the rest would be, that could also be tremendously unsafe.

See the New York Times article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/23/op...23goodell.html

In 1986, at Lake Nyos in Cameroon, 300,000 tons of naturally occurring carbon dioxide that had been trapped in the lake suddenly rose to the surface and formed a misty cloud, suffocating 1,700 people.
Third is availability. Places that are geologically suitable for carbon sequestration may not actually be that common- if there are earthquakes, or the ground is somewhat porous, or there have been significant disruptions, mining, air pockets, etc., it could make sequestering carbon harder. And because of the unexplored safety issues, not everyone will want carbon sequestered underneath them- it has the potential to be a huge NIMBY issue.

I don't want to be a wet blanket on carbon sequestration, but we want to do it right, whatever we do, and I just wanted to point out some things to think about.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Prius geek

Originally Posted by blinkard
So if we send George Bush to his underground bunker, then pump in the CO2, we'll be killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
It's really a win-win for the world. Glad to hear some alternatives are being proposed for the elimination of all things bad for the world environment...

Cheers,

Curt.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:13 PM

LOL! Anybody figure out how much CO2 is coming out of Bush's mouth, or is it mostly hot air?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:26 PM

To the NSA CIA and ATF who might be tuned in, I am certain that blinkard was not threatening the life of any elected government official.

We are just innocent hybrid vehicle drivers and we joke around sometimes. Please don't send the big black vans; it would be a waste of time and CO2...

Last edited by Tochatihu; 06-27-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 PM

You kid, but I have a personal anecdote about an innocent online comment causing the Secret Service to leave a message on my answering machine back when I was 15 years old... and it wasn't even my innocent comment! I just happened to run a free hobbiest Bulletin Board System (similar to a discussion forum, but way back before the 'Net was publicly accessible).

One learns to be more careful with comments and online discussions after that!

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-27-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM

Free speech? What the heck is that?

Old 06-29-2006, 07:55 AM

How much CO2 is released if I burn a flag while the Christapo drags me off to prison?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:07 AM

Looky here, we started discussing CO2 sequestration and moved thence to flag burning. Mr. Rove indeed is a genius.