Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Lexus envy

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Engineering first
Talking Lexus envy

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...092002076.html

High-End Hybrids That Run on Contradictions
By Warren Brown
Sunday, September 23, 2007; Page G02

I 've long contended that much of the to-do about gas-electric hybrid vehicles is little more than marketing hype masquerading as environmental concern.
. . .
I'll say it again: It's a bunch of baloney. Anyone doubting that has only to examine Exhibit No. 1 in defense of my argument: It's the 2008, 438-hp, nearly $112,000, 20-mpg-city, barely 22-mpg-highway, five-liter-V-8, gas-electric hybrid Lexus LS 600h L super-luxury sedan.

Lexus is billing it as the most politically correct car for the wealthy. That's "wealthy," as opposed to affluent. "Wealthy" people are rich enough to have money without having to work for it. "Affluent" people still rely on paychecks, albeit big ones.
. . .
How silly is this? Imagine: There goes a working-class stiff in a little Chevrolet Aveo with a traditional gasoline engine that gets 30 mpg or more and that meets the nation's toughest clean-air standards. But because she is not driving a gas-electric car, she must -- in many metropolitan areas nationwide -- use the congested regular traffic lanes commuting to and from work.
. . .
This is little more than warmed over CNW Marketing claptrap without attribution. Regardless, my answer posted in the comments thread:
Originally Posted by bwilson4use
Once again, Warren has missed the point of a high-end hybrid . . . the lack of noise and vibration. The silent, vibration free electric parts of the super hybrids deliver the smooth, powerful, noiseless, and quality comfort the chauffeur driven, super hybrid owner expects. Best of all, it has the power to weight ratio to shutdown Warren's class-envy Aveo owner on the street.

No doubt, Warren and those who follow his nonsense will never have to worry about buying a $100k car. In the meanwhile, they can enjoy their cuppa bile and envy.
Over the top??

Bob Wilson

Old 09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus envy

Bob, you cause me to remember my last meeting with Dave Hermance, who was plainly salivating at the prospect of an LS 600h. It is a substantial engineering achievement in many ways, including the NVH aspects you mentioned. It will appeal to a very small market segment, yet each one sold is going to net a lot of money for Toyota.

I prefer to suppose that Toyota has gone in this direction to further refine the HSD, on small production runs.

Putting HSD into high-volume vehicles like vans and pickups appears to await bulletproof Li HV batteries available at the right price. That, I suppose, will be the second hybrid revolution, after the sedans already done by Honda and Toyota. The 'performance hybrid sedans' are just a space-filler while we continue waiting.

Good that there are Aveos, Focus, Fit, Matrix etc. available to those who want small sedans. But that is a different market segment, and it makes little sense to confuse it with the big fancy ones.

DAS

Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lexus envy

lol.. looks like the Washington Post doesn't pay Warren enough. Do you really expect everyone to be driving subcompact cars?