Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Living with gas shortages

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Engineering first
Default Living with gas shortages

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...?StoryID=60432

. . .
Another way to describe the nation's oil predicament is to calculate how oil reserves compare to consumption or production, Cooper said.

"The U.S. accounts for 25 percent of the world's crude oil consumption and 25 percent of the world's gasoline consumption, but we have only 3 percent of the world's crude oil reserves," Cooper said. "We consume beyond our means."
. . .
"Fuel efficiency is the sweet-spot of energy policy," Cooper said. "It is the only option that simultaneously makes significant contributions to help reduce the economic pain, national security vulnerability and environmental harm of our 'oil addiction.' It ought to be the first and most vigorous thing we do as a nation."
. . .
I wasn't aware our oil reserves were so small, 3%.

Their full press release can be found here:
http://www.consumerfed.org/pdfs/CFA_...ease052107.pdf

I try to avoid subscribing to conspiracy theories but sometimes the free market works to maximize profits of one group over the good of the country. But I'm also reminded of those inane oil company commercials, ". . . hydrogen combines with oxygen . . ." that say nothing about how to minimize fuel costs.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned
Default Re: Living with gas shortages

Nearly 30 years ago, the nation did not appreciate Jimmy Carter telling them the energy crisis "was the moral equivalent of war". We have a strong case of denial, reinforced by a good supply of energy over the years. The relatively painless flow of energy won't last forever - the sooner people accept that - the less pain there will be when future pinches occur.

I would not mind saving old articles and posts. In time, those who said it's never going to run out will look really assine.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

It's kind of funny, but as I was going to bed last night, I had the thought that this summer, there may be gas shortages, then here's an article about it.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
It's kind of funny, but as I was going to bed last night, I had the thought that this summer, there may be gas shortages, then here's an article about it.
Theme from Twilight Zone plays...