Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident

Originally Posted by gumby
Mike, I have the 3 pdf's for the Hondas:
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Guide
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Guide (2006 supplement)
Honda Civic Hybrid Emergency Response Quick Reference

(I tried uploading them here, but it keeps failing. I'm sure it's just me...)

I just now read them again. Unless there's a newer update, I don't see anything related to a discharging time-frame for the hybrid systems.

I DO see up to 3 minutes for the airbags to deactivate (which we all KNEW, right?)

Is there something I'm missing?
No, you're right. The first thing I do is turn the key off and put the car in park if it is not already, providing the scene is otherwise safe. Airbag sensors are tricky things and they can deploy after the fact, not to mention all the cornstarch powder stuff that is used to keep them dry and functional that is released when airbags deploy (kind of a wierd "smoke" that isn't smoke at all).

Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by m.mosher
Here is one example. It is for the 2008 Toyota Highlander. It is on page 15 of the ERG It is in a warning box and it states that it may take up to ten minutes for the high voltage system to completely shut down. That is just one example. That is one of the most important things I learned about the hybrid vehicles. They are not all the same. What is true for one make or model may not be for another. Just for your info. I'm not trying to argue any ponit. I just want people to be informed.
Mike, you need to put the info in the proper context.
If you were an owner, you may know the proper context.

When the car is "healthy and normal" the FEH will leave certain circuits energized for a few minutes for convienience sake.

During an accident, all systems de-energize in a fraction of a second.
Unless of course, the accident was too minor to cause the safty systems to trip, and in that case, I'm 99.99% sure that no "first responder" would be using any tools to cut into the vehicle... but that's just my very informed opinion.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with the fact that the manufactures have done everything they can to make cars as safe as possible. Probably even more so on the hybrids. In my own personal opinion I think they are the best made vehicles on the road. I have been in the automotive diagnostic business as well as the towing and recovery business for over 25 years. The only problem is that all the different scenarios can not be played out in a lab environment. Its the real world that puts every safety feature to the test. The MFG's themselves are quick to remind everyone not to assume anything. Here is a picture of a late model buick that ran into a downed tree. The tree went right through the firewall and into the passenger compartment and never triggered the air bag. I know its not a hybrid but its just an example of the fact that not every safety feature is guaranteed to work everytime. If an air bag deploys it will disable the high voltage system What if it doesn't deploy. I have to admit in my time of being around the towing business I have only seen two cases of bad crashes that the air bag didn't deploy. Probably a very small percentage I'm sure but always a possibility.I agree with the fact that the manufactures have done everything they can to make cars as safe as possible. Probably even more so on the hybrids. In my own personal opinion I think they are the best made vehicles on the road.

Attached Thumbnails Motorweek warns "stay back" from hybrid in accident-pic-buick-accident3.jpg  

Last edited by m.mosher; 12-14-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: typing error