Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

My truck can stop a plane!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default My truck can stop a plane!

So I'm seeing this Ford ad where they stick a Ford pickup truck in a cargo plane, land the plane, dump the truck out the back tied to a big chain, and the truck uses its brakes to stop the plane on the runway. Then some guy tells you how great it is to know that your truck could stop a plane with its brakes.

In what reality is this a purchasing criterion for *anybody*? Why is the ability to stop a runaway cargo plane a valid reason to purchase a vehicle?

The Toyota Tundra ads are just as dumb, though not quite as over-the-top ridiculous as this one. Though I imagine they'll have to up the ante to match Ford. I predict an ad where a Tundra prevents the space shuttle from launching with a rope tied around its side mirror while a gravel-voiced narrator says, "Whoa, nellie!" or "Happy birthday!" or something like that.

The punchline is that sectors of the media constantly deride hybrids as "just about showing off." And these things aren't?

Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: My truck can stop a plane!

I take it you've never been to a redneck BBQ before? Or any local northeast fair?

Chaining pickups to see whos truck can drag the other is sport.

As is chaining concrete blocks to the back and dragging them around the dirt.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
joe540ci
Default Re: My truck can stop a plane! All Ford ads are full of it!!

They are desprate to sell there Junk-They even had a girl say she sold her camry and got a ford she really likes. That was the dumbest thing I have ever heard!! The ford has big bolts too.Too bad they have small spark plug threads and cheap wireing and numeros other fire hasards and falts. I guess if you were born yesterday you might even believe one of Fords ads.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sungod18
I take it you've never been to a redneck BBQ before? Or any local northeast fair?

Chaining pickups to see whos truck can drag the other is sport.

As is chaining concrete blocks to the back and dragging them around the dirt.
I've been to the midwest's finest tractor pulls, thank you very much. (The best ones also feature a greased pig contest.)

But any self-respecting farmer knows you can't use those things for any real work. (The pull tractors, not the pigs.)

Ryan

Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Enthusiast

My prius can stop a cargo plane. :-P

Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Hybrid True Believer

It's the same tired old formula that, unfortunately, continues to work in America: driving an overpowered, gas-guzzling super-truck means that you're young, macho, and can go the distance in the sack. Right. Why doesn't Ford also say their trucks also function as a non-prescription cure for erectile dysfunction?!

And, of course, the other Ford implication is that if you drive a car that gets good gas mileage and has relatively conservative design, your either old, cheap, poor, green-freak, liberal, or homosexual (pick any).

Personally, I've never needed to use my car to stop a jet. And the speed limit seems to be 65 MPH (max) anywhere I've driven in the past 5 years. Once I've accelerated to that speed, I doubt my car is even using 1/4 of its overall power, so why would I need a 500 HP monstrosity?!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:34 AM
HypoFueler

must be one of those wimpy hybrid planes....

Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Vegetarian

Thought of this thread when I read this article

Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

The whole point of the commercial is the show the STOPPING POWER of the truck. These trucks are meant for towing huge loads and those huge loads need big brakes to stop them.

Don't criticize Ford and Toyota for that. If a person/company actually NEEDS a truck with those strengths, then more power to them. You need to point your criticism towards those who buy those vehicles with no intentions of using them for what they were designed.

Last edited by S197; 09-30-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Energy Independence

I agree, Brandon. BTW, welcome to the site

Those huge loads SHOULD have their own braking systems, as well.
Depending on truck brakes alone is a mistake when trailering multiple-ton loads.

Quick Reply: My truck can stop a plane!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands