Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Next Generation Prius to be Delayed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Next Generation Prius to be Delayed

It seems the battery issues being reported have been serious enough that the Prius is being delayed until the spring of 2009.

I'm thinking they were considering going the nickel-metal hydride route, then decided against it since the disappointment would be too high. Now they are waiting until the new lithium-ion batteries are out.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...fsect=BREAKING
Toyota Motor Corp. has decided to postpone the launch of the third-generation Prius hybrid model by half a year to the spring of 2009, industrial daily Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun said today.

The world's biggest automaker has not officially announced the timing of the launch, but a consensus had built among industry watchers that the popular gasoline-electric car would be remodeled by late 2008.

The Nikkan Kogyo said Toyota decided to take more time to ensure quality after it decided to forgo replacing the nickel-metal hydride battery used in the hybrid system with a lithium-ion battery for the first version of the new model.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Next Generation Prius to be Delayed

In a strange and perhaps selfish way, this makes me feel better about not have obsolete technology in my car.

I hope there is an aftermarket upfit to LI-On batteries when they are stable and proven.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Six months really isn't such a bad delay. If half a year is what it takes to ensure that the next Prius is as safe, reliable, and durable as the current generation, then I have no problem.

Of course, that will make the timing interesting since I've read that Honda plans to release its Fit-sized "mystery" hybrid in early 2009.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
In a strange and perhaps selfish way, this makes me feel better about not have obsolete technology in my car.

I hope there is an aftermarket upfit to LI-On batteries when they are stable and proven.
If you don't get one from Toyota, there are already companies that convert Prius. I assume they'll be able to do the same to the next generation.