Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Record hybrid sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Engineering first
Default Record hybrid sales

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/...ap3982227.html

Originally Posted by Dee-Ann_Durbin
. . .
DETROIT - Hybrid vehicles are on track to achieve record U.S. sales this year despite signs consumer interest in hybrids is waning, an auto information company said Thursday.

An estimated 187,000 hybrids were sold in the first six months of 2007, accounting for 2.3 percent of all new vehicle sales, according to J.D. Power and Associates. Although a slowdown is expected in the second half of the year, J.D. Power is forecasting total sales of 345,000 hybrids for 2007, a 35 percent increase from 2006 when the current record of 256,000 hybrids were sold.
. . .
Bob Wilson

Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Record hybrid sales

I find this very intersting that an "auto informations company" none specified see waning interest in hybrids and increased sales. I think what is happening is the public as a whole isn't finding hybrids such a stretch anymore, thus less interesting and have started to integrate the car into there thoughts as a normal car and I feel this is what will help drive even more sales of hybrids.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't one expect that after a technology (like hybrids) is proven, that after a certain point sales might plateau or gain more slowly? I think it is quite logical. I don't see how anyone could call rising sales waning. Oh well, it also justifies, in certain minds I suppose, that bigger SUVs and faster performance cars are the way to go. I don't suppose Japanese car makers much better sales figures will in any way interfere with this myth.

--des

Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Lord of Time and Space

You can either respond to the market (as manufacturers of hybrids, diesels, gas-sippers are doing) or influence the market (try to convince people that these technologies are worthless and that people don't want them, a la the CNW report, and polls indicating that consumer interest wanes).

To wit, look at
  • Honda (mixed record with hybrids, seems to be moving toward diesel tech) - doing well
  • Toyota (great record with hybrids, also moving toward diesels for trucks) - doing well
  • VW (new clean diesels coming out) -doing well
versus
  • GM (Volt looks great, but WHEN?, E85? convert all of our crop fields to corn or switchgrass for a fuel that has lower energy density than gasoline, and not so fantastic emissions reductions?) - how long can these guys hang on?
  • Ford (good record with the FEH, when EXACTLY will 4 new models of hybrids arrive?) - (see GM)
  • Chrysler (search their site for hybrid, and it says "You may be interested in a Dodge vehicle - click here" - and that's a Durango) - (see GM)
Does anyone know who PAID for the CNW "Dust to Dust" report?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

"Reported hybrid sales increased to 28,585 units in July 2007, up from 25,626 in July 2006. Hybrids represented 2.2% of the new vehicle sales for the current month."

Article --> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007...es-of-hyb.html

Hybrids are certainly growing in the car market, but ever so slowly. Another key thing to keep in mind is that sometimes other factors such as production rates limit the amount of hybrids able to be sold within a given period of time.