Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Saturn VUE Plug-in official announcement - 2010

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Saturn VUE Plug-in official announcement - 2010

For release: Jan. 14, 2008, 12:01 a.m. EST
SATURN VUE GREEN LINE PLUG-IN HYBRID SUV MAY BEGIN PRODUCTION IN 2010

Expected to be First Commercially Available, OEM-produced Plug-in Hybrid

DETROIT – Saturn announced today at the North American International Auto Show that production will may begin as soon as 2010 on a plug-in hybrid electric version of the Saturn Vue Green Line, expected to be the first regular production plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. Depending on a consumer’s drive cycle, the Vue plug-in hybrid will be the most fuel-efficient vehicle offered by a major automaker.

This Vue Green Line will use a modified version of GM’s two-mode hybrid system and plug-in technology, a lithium-ion battery pack, highly efficient electronics and powerful electric motors to achieve significant increases in fuel economy. When the lithium-ion batteries are fully charged, the Vue plug-in hybrid will potentially double the fuel efficiency of any current SUV. After electric-only propulsion depletes the lithium-ion energy storage system to a specified level, the battery is replenished by utilizing the two-mode hybrid system’s electric motors and regenerative brake systems.

“We announced late in 2006 that a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle was a top priority, and the fact that we’re now announcing production timing to bring the industry’s first plug-in to market, while tackling many technology hurdles along the way, demonstrates our commitment to diversifying from petroleum and reducing emissions,” said Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak.

In early testing, the Vue Green Line plug-in hybrid is capable of electric-only propulsion for more than 10 miles at low speeds. At higher speeds or when conditions demand it, such as brisk acceleration, a combination of engine and electric power or engine power-only drives the vehicle.

The vehicle’s lithium-ion batteries can be fully recharged in four to five hours by simply connecting the vehicle to any standard 110V household electrical outlet. The connection port on the vehicle will be integrated into the front fender. By recharging rather than refueling, the Vue Green Line plug-in hybrid reduces petroleum consumption.

A plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle differs from a non-plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle by offering extended electric-only propulsion, additional battery capacity and the ability to be recharged from an external electrical outlet.
The two-mode hybrid system to be introduced on the 2009 Saturn Vue Green Line 2 Mode will be altered for use with plug-in technology. In addition to plug-in capabilities and the modified two-mode hybrid system, the Saturn Vue Green Line hybrid SUV’s powertrain will feature two interior permanent magnet motors within the two-mode transmission and GM’s 3.6L V-6 VVT gasoline engine with direct injection. The lithium-ion energy storage system will be replenished by utilizing the two-mode hybrid system’s electric motors and regenerative braking systems.

The Saturn Vue Green Line plug-in maintains two driving modes – one for city driving, the other for highway driving – and four fixed mechanical gears to maximize efficiency while maintaining performance. In addition, special controls will be utilized to enable higher speeds during electric-only propulsion and maintain electric-only propulsion for longer periods of time.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Re: Saturn VUE Plug-in official announcement - 2010

Go GM!

Now just replace that 3.6L with something smaller and diesel.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

A pic from the show... have to say, the lime green color is properly barftastic. The 1st gen Escape Hybrid's silvery-green is best as far as hybrid-specific colors go, IMO.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I yawn at this announcement.

I also just pre-ordered the Fisker plug-in hybrid. I guess we'll see which one comes to market first. I discovered the solar panel for interior climate control on the roof is optional after I plunked down the deposit. Oh well.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Without the super bright lights on it from the introduction, the green isn't that bad.

I'm a little disapointed that the VUE isn't going to have the Cylinder Deactivation on it like the Yukon/Tahoe does.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Energy Independence

Only 10 miles? And at low speeds? I hope for much more than that in the plug-in dept. This sounds like a big, expensive golf-cart for very short (and slow) trips to the store and back. Still, I applaud ANY plug-in effort!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You guys need to wrap your arms around how much electricty it takes to move a vehicle of this size.

1 gallon of gasoline has the equivalent power of 1500 lithium "D" size batteries for example. 1 gallon = 1500 cells. 1500.

Let me say it again.... 1500.

Put another way, 6.5 pounds of gasoline has the same power as 200 pounds of batteries. We use gasoline for a very valid reason.

PHEV's ain't easy!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Energy Independence

Never said it was easy.
I'm just not that impressed with a 10-mile, low-speed range on electric only. when the EV-1 (I know it was a different animal: sleek car vs. SUV, electric-only vs. hybrid) could go much farther, and at normal cruising speed. I'd rather have a car like the EV-1 available tomorrow, rather than this upcoming Vue. But, alas, that's not a choice I see having tomorrow. Someday, though (and soon), we may see affordable & capable PHEVs and Volt-like vehicles. I think it really is just around the corner.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Another thing to keep in mind that 10 miles is based on the idea of the bad driver in non-optimal conditions.

It's better to shoot low and not get anyone upset when they can't make it ten miles, and be jubilant that they're getting 20 or more miles out of a charge then to advertise 20 mile range and have angry reporters and consumers who are only getting 10. Real range isn't measured in distance, as there are many variables that effect it, instead it's measured in pack power.

As for the EV1, well, there are a lot of people on this forum that would like an EV1, but there are a lot more consumers who don't like the mentality of a limited range vehicle. Really, a PHEV 30 solves most peoples problems. 30 miles is more than enough for most consumers to do their commutes and errands without using combustable fuel, and with the fuel, they can still take family vacations and long drives without trying to map out power stations to recharge, or waiting several hours for recharges.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 01-15-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

EV1 required high voltage ( 240v) and special "paddles" so you could only charge it at home. The charger was 1.5'x2'x5' and had heat sinks, and was about the size of a gas pump. I guess there was an impractical 120v "travel" charger just to get you by.

That's how GM engineered it to fail.

PHEV that use 120v are ideal.... but are so slowwwww to charge.

Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1

Betcha didn't know there was a HYBRID version of the EV1 that got 100 MPG! The EV1 packs were 3x the size of today's PHEV, and had the same 50-75 range as today's PHEV.

Quick Reply: Saturn VUE Plug-in official announcement - 2010

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands