Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Well Done -- GM

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Engineering first
Default Well Done -- GM

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...706010373/1014

June 1, 2007
BY KATIE MERX
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

General Motors Corp., once the symbol of big, slow corporate America, virtually matched Toyota Motor Corp., the icon of lean manufacturing, in North American assembly plant productivity last year for the first time since it has been measured, industry research group Harbour Consulting reported Thursday.

Toyota logged 22.05 hours of plant labor per vehicle assembled, while GM reported 22.15 hours, a difference of one-tenth of an hour, or just 6 minutes per vehicle.
. . .
Now the challenge is to produce the type of fuel efficient product needed for the next century.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Well Done -- GM

At least GM seems to be in the beginning stages of learning from their mistakes. Now they need someone at the helm who believes in adapting their product line to meet the demands of the modern era: smaller, fuel-efficient cars and more efficient small/mid-size SUVs. I just hope that they get some traction with BAS and 2-Mode.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Well Done -- GM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
. . . I just hope that they get some traction with BAS and 2-Mode.
IMHO, the current BAS are half-way there to where they need to be. The BAS should also replace the starter. Rather than use an external belt, it should be chain or gear driven. To carry around a starter and high-capacity, lead-acid battery just doesn't make sense. This should be the default for all cars.

As for the 2-Mode, it has potential but I remain concerned about the parts count. Generally, fewer parts are better than more but we'll see once it hits the showroom floor.

Bob Wilson