Disgusted RX400h owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Disgusted RX400h owner

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
nadabunka,
I'm surprised that you expected to get the city EPA numbers.Very, very few cars get the old city EPA numbers in an actual city with an "average" driver.
Your 25 mpg is about average for the not average drivers on this forum.Did you buy before there was much data here on the HH? I'm not trying to kick you when you are down;I'm just curious why you would expect to get EPA city numbers with the HH when it was well know that very few cars do,and on this forum the Prius was only getting about 47mpg in mixed driving.Once again,this forum has very few average drivers.Most"average" folks don't get 47mpg mixed with the Prius.
I agree that Toyota and all the other car companies "game" the EPA test to get the best EPA numbers possible.In that sense they are deceptive, but once again it is well know that the car companies "game" the tests.
You're obviously a bright guy. How did you miss the obvious? The Prius numbers should have been enough to convince you that the HH wasn't going to get city EPA numbers(it gets maybe 70% with an average driver).It also doesn't get better city mpg than hy-about 5mpg differences for us(43 vs 49(68mph).I took one look at the HH's numbers here on the forum,and then bought the Prius.The HH just wasn't enough better than our AWD Pilot, or than a V-6 Highlander,Lexus whatever.I guessed it would be no better than 5 mpg "better" than the non hybrid versions,and that was generous.
I'm guessing you were an early buyer,and you hadn't spent a lot of time here eyeballing the Prius numbers.You must not have seen the numerous complaints/rips that were written in several Newspapers/online sites etc.
The HH and Lex are great very quick SUVs and they will pay off on their $4000 preminum the way oil prices are increasing, but it will take >100,000 miles to save the 1000 gallons of gas($4/gal). You should save about 100 gallons per 10,000 miles-at 20 vs 25mpg-.You'll break even around 100,000-120,000 and you'll have had a better(faster/greener) car the whole time.Could be worse.
Luck,
Charlie
Suburb of New Orleans-strictly short trips-stoplight to stoplight with maybe 6 complete stops 90 degree turns per mile.
Charlie - Thanks for the post. I never even considered a Prius so NEVER saw anything on them. Yes, I did buy in the middle of 2006 so much of the current details about FE mis-statements was not as well known then( as it is now). EVERY other prior vehicle we have EVER bought we have been fortunate enough to easily exceed the posted EPA readings (maybe we've always driven more conservatively than most) so we didn't think it was unrealistic to have expected (at least) within 10%-20% of the ADVERTISED (at the time) ratings. Needless to say, 24MPG on a vehicle that advertised 31MPG (City) was...um, startling. After an ECU re-programming, proper oil and oil levels, etc the truck is now getting between 27 and 28MPG which is ...acceptable.

Also for those who claim the high MPG that live in higher altitudes with terrain that is favorable...I too got the opportunity to drive in a similar area, this Blue Ridge Parkway. Spent a day on those roads and WAS able to re-create the 40MPG "averages" over an extended period (3-4 hours). I even took a picture of my NAVI screen (jus tlike Mr. Kites) and it too shows 40.3MPG with big chunks of time (10-15 minutes) with over 60+MPG (on the screen). Of course, this was done driving 35 in certain areas and lots of hills. They TRULY DO make a VERY big difference. However, for most of us who do not live in such areas, such FE is not realistic. However, I was able to see "Mr. Kite's point of view". Good for him but it's not (by ANY means) a TYPICAL experience.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndabunka
EVERY other prior vehicle we have EVER bought we have been fortunate enough to easily exceed the posted EPA readings (maybe we've always driven more conservatively than most) so we didn't think it was unrealistic to have expected (at least) within 10%-20% of the ADVERTISED (at the time) ratings. Needless to say, 24MPG on a vehicle that advertised 31MPG (City) was...um, startling. After an ECU re-programming, proper oil and oil levels, etc the truck is now getting between 27 and 28MPG which is ...acceptable.
I am confused by your statement. You state that don't think it is unrealistic to expect (at least) within 10 to 20% of the EPA numbers of 31 mpg city. That is exactly what you got though and you are complaining.

20% of 31 mpg = 6.2 mpg
10% of 31 mpg = 3.1 mpg

So if you would get between 24.8 and 27.9 mpg you feel that would be a reasonable expectation.

Isn't that pretty close to what you are getting on this vehicle before and after the changes. You have narrowed you deviation from 20% to 10% with some vehicle changes, but in either case you have meet your self-defined realistic expectation haven't you?

What am I missing.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

ndabunka,
Yes,altitude is a real blessing in modern vehicles.In the old days-before EFI-mass air sensors O2 sensors-with a carb jetted for sea level-the mpg and power would just plunge at altitude.
I figured you must have been too early to have heard the "worst news" about the HH. They have kinda been a flop in the market because they just don't live up to the Prius.You'll make payback in about 100,000 miles(especially with the $4 gas staring us in the face), but it isn't the dramatic improvement over its ICE rivals like the Prius vs Corolla.(about 70% better mpg city in "real life" and 40% better hy.)
We drive from sea level to 7000 ft-New Orleans-Flagstaff AZ-fairly frequently-and once we get above 2000 feet(Amarillo)ect improved mpg;above 4000 ft it is worth about 5-10% in high speed driving-70-75 mph.
I drove almost the same trip-NO to Denver-several times in the 60's 70's-and the mpg would just drop off as I gained altitude.
Yes,Toyota does game the EPA tests at least as well-probably better-than most manufacturers- 31 mpg city would have been awfully nice.
f Toyota builds the stretched Prius that I've heard they plan(maybe 185" long like an HH), it would be good for an honest 40 mpg city,and maybe 45mpg hy(if they increase the frontal area about 10% with 4"more length,and maybe 3" more height). The Prius is just a bit too small to use as a family road trip vehicle. The HHs are just about the perfect size for traveling; a modified Prius 4 cyl could fill the bill just about perfectly.You would have to give up ground clearance, but little else.
Thanks,
Charlie

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chilly
I am confused by your statement. You state that don't think it is unrealistic to expect (at least) within 10 to 20% of the EPA numbers of 31 mpg city. That is exactly what you got though and you are complaining.

20% of 31 mpg = 6.2 mpg
10% of 31 mpg = 3.1 mpg

So if you would get between 24.8 and 27.9 mpg you feel that would be a reasonable expectation.

Isn't that pretty close to what you are getting on this vehicle before and after the changes. You have narrowed you deviation from 20% to 10% with some vehicle changes, but in either case you have meet your self-defined realistic expectation haven't you?

What am I missing.
I am getting that mileage NOW. You have to remember that at one point I was like a number of others on here getting 24MPG MAXIMUM. Turns out much of that was due to a poorly programmed ECU. A smaller amount was due to poor oil levels or possible wrong weights. Tire inflation was another aspect though also quite minor (less than .5MPG form what I can tell). My last 10 or so trips we are now averaging 27MPG and this is "acceptable". Not preferable, but we can live with it. Driving habits have NEVER changed. I still drive this thing the EXACT same way I used too. Shesh Guys, it's not like the truck is a god send or the greatest thing on earth! It's a freaking truck, little more. Heck, I actually ENJOY my CLK55 (349HP, zero to sixty in 4.9 that handled in corners like a production race car) FAR more than riding in the HiHy but what the heck. Seems that most on here (somehow) this this thing it the second coming. As for environment protection, this car has little, no make that NOTHING on the Hydrogen-powered cars of the future. Maybe I'm just not ABSOLUTELY THRILLED to be driving one of these as much as the rest of you are. To me, it's no big deal. Sure, it's an OK truck and does get "decent" fuel economy but it's also got it's drawbacks (no memory seats in a $40K vehicle? Who's idea is that?)

Old 11-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ndabunka
As for environment protection, this car has little, no make that NOTHING on the Hydrogen-powered cars of the future.
Depends on where the hydrogen comes from.

If you use renewable energy sources, yes hydrogen will be pretty clean.
(water vapor can be an environmental issue - do a little research on airplane contrails...)

But as stands, hydrogen currently and likely will come from the breaking down of hydrocarbons. Which is just another way of burning a barrel of oil.

I 100% agree on the memory seats. The old HiHy was way too spartan for the price. No SmartKey, or Bluetooth either...

Old 11-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Depends on where the hydrogen comes from.

If you use renewable energy sources, yes hydrogen will be pretty clean.
(water vapor can be an environmental issue - do a little research on airplane contrails...)

But as stands, hydrogen currently and likely will come from the breaking down of hydrocarbons. Which is just another way of burning a barrel of oil.

I 100% agree on the memory seats. The old HiHy was way too spartan for the price. No SmartKey, or Bluetooth either...
Not certain where your assumptions come from but Hydrogen can EASILY be produced by electrolysis, not fuel oil. There is a company manufacturing hydrogen-based fuel cells as a source for powering individual homes. I think they are called Bloom Energy and were recently featured in Business 2.0. Here's another forum where the participants discuss "water fuel"...
http://www.waterfuelcell.org/phpBB2/...4a5c627b8fe42d

Old 11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Water vapor is already a large component of vehicle exhaust. Releasing water vapor several miles above the ground is a lot different than releasing water on ground level.

In the sky, the issue is essentially the artificial formation of clouds. Is water vapor an issue when released at ground level?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Water vapor is already a large component of vehicle exhaust. Releasing water vapor several miles above the ground is a lot different than releasing water on ground level.

In the sky, the issue is essentially the artificial formation of clouds. Is water vapor an issue when released at ground level?
If it ultimately generates ice on the road it is an issue...not a problem where I am...but out your way ...?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdmark
If it ultimately generates ice on the road it is an issue...not a problem where I am...but out your way ...?
Since water vapor is already a significant component of vehicle exhaust and I've never heard of this being an issue, I'm guessing it will not be an issue with hydrogen powered vehicles either.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My conclusion from the research is if we double or triple air travel we are back to global cooling.

Quick Reply: Disgusted RX400h owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands