07 mercury mariner hybrid, no ev mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07 mercury mariner hybrid, no ev mode.

Just purchased 3 day ago. No ev mode. Ac off. This morning dead 12v battery. No accessories left on overnight. Jumped battery let idle for 20 min. Drove quarter mile parked, car shut down. Jumped unit itcstarted the immediately went into ev mode while idling and shut down again ( key restart needed). Jumped again took off to get new battery. Installed new battery no ev mode, but no more shutting down. Gauges seem to function better. Mpg gage at 29mpg no ev mode. This car has never gone into ev mode except what i mentioned earlier. Check battery cooling filter it was dated 2010 handwritten and comletely clogged reolaced filter. No ev. Ac compressor on ALL THE TIME, regardless of switch position. Blend door working. Bad or burnt cooling fans for battery? How do you manually check them? Old 12v battery had shorted cel.

Last edited by Shane Carr; 08-28-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 mercury mariner hybrid, no ev mode.

EV mode on a MMH is basically: the car shuts off at stop lights, comes off the line in EV mode until about 10 mph and then the gas engine starts. More aggressive throttle means less EV mode, maybe none.

You can get pure EV mode at very low speeds and power settings with extremely gentle application of throttle.

If compressor is engaged all the time, then the battery is probably trying to cool itself. It will command the A/C compressor to engage to cool the rear evap that cools the battery.

Not sure of your experience with hybrids, but you need to understand that the USABLE capacity in your hybrid battery is about the same as the total capacity of the 12V battery, i.e., they contain about the same ENERGY storage. You shouldn't expect to be driving around in pure EV mode.

Does your A/C work?

Old 08-29-2019, 06:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
EV mode on a MMH is basically: the car shuts off at stop lights, comes off the line in EV mode until about 10 mph and then the gas engine starts. More aggressive throttle means less EV mode, maybe none.

You can get pure EV mode at very low speeds and power settings with extremely gentle application of throttle.

If compressor is engaged all the time, then the battery is probably trying to cool itself. It will command the A/C compressor to engage to cool the rear evap that cools the battery.

Not sure of your experience with hybrids, but you need to understand that the USABLE capacity in your hybrid battery is about the same as the total capacity of the 12V battery, i.e., they contain about the same ENERGY storage. You shouldn't expect to be driving around in pure EV mode.

Does your A/C work?
Ac was weak had dealer charge it before buying. I understand ev mode on first gen. Lots of research. I have never but once had car go into ev mode like its supposed to with ac def off under 25mph except when it did as described above. Is there a way to manually test cooling fans?. Waiting on canbus interface. Thanks. Ac coil in back under bumper cold. Ac in car hummmmm ok. Compressor always on so car requesting cooking to cool down battery but i doubt fans in batt comp working. Blend door functions. Ac in car wors but seems less than what i would expect however it is because the poor little ac compressor is having to do double duty for cab and batt evap cooling unit.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 AM

My perspective is based on my experience with these vehicles in Phoenix, AZ - a temperature extreme (hot).

Your research is lacking. FEH/MMH compressor IS ADEQUATE FOR BOTH EVAPS. Scroll valve on compressor can fail producing poor idle/low-rpm A/C performance, but they work well at highway speed.

Bad fan(s) will produce a wrench light and a code. Blend door usually does.

If your HV battery temps exceed 100°F, the hybrid system is essentially disabled. EV mode will occur rarely to never. Here's what I think you're dealing with:

1) failed A/C compressor scroll valve preventing adequate A/C function
2) possible blend door failure
3) failure of one or both of your cooling fans

Get Forscan, so you can do some meaningful diagnostics.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Enthusiast

Waiting for interface for canbus. Ev batteries have no airflow. No wrench code. I think the dealer car lot defeated warning lamp somehow. When first start up in am ev mode functions but after warm up no. Car shut down today but it was as if it was attempting ev mode and shut down but i key restarted and was fine for 200 miles but no ev as vehicle was warm. We have had a heat spell for last few days in the 90's but today cooler in am. So instead of $380 for fans i bought a complete hybrid batt pack for $300 with 113,000 miles. Will install this weekend. Hopefully interface comes tomorrow so i can pull codes. Generic scanner says no code faults. So heres the scenario. Purchased vehicle on monday. Clogged ev batt filter dated 10yr ago installed. Short in 12v battery.
Replaced 12v with new yellow top $260
Replaced ev batt filter. So my assumption is ev batt filter was clogged long ago causing batt to overheat and 12v batt was 7yr old with short probably from jump starting the ev batt to start vehicle who knows. The 12v being shorted was not prodicing full 12volt to run ecu and instrumentation properly ie charge assist gauge needle never moved until new 12v batt. Dim dash lights. So whoever just ran vehicle and kept cycling thru safety feature that turns off ev mode then fans failed not enough air cooling and ac low on refrigerant. I am just assuming this batt pack is tired. So well see this weekend if replacement ev batt solves prob. Now what to do with old ev battery. Would be nice to use it for something.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:16 AM

What year battery?

Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast

What year battery?
2006. Interchange says yes. Hopefully wont require reprogramming bcm. Have service harness kit also. Instructions say to reprogram bcm after install of kit. Kit is just a jumper harness extension. Not sure but i bet the electrical connectors on harness kit contact better OR it an ohm problem in length of harness wire, not specified.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Good choice. 2009+ don't have the HV jump start (it's housed in the battery).

Old 08-30-2019, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast

Good choice. 2009+ don't have the HV jump start (it's housed in the battery).
Thanks. What is wiring for ev cooling fans. Ie 12volt with blue wire as trigger or are the 3 phase 12volt and 3rd wire is ground. I want to install small led lamp to 12v trigger to let me know when fans are active.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Not sure. It's PWM controlled, so you always have (+) and (-) to it.

Quick Reply: 07 mercury mariner hybrid, no ev mode.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands