2008 Mariner Hybrid no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 Mariner Hybrid no start

Hi there, New member first post here. I have a 2008 Mariner Hybrid and recently It refused to start. It ran fine with no performance issues, stalls, or stutters up until about 2 weeks ago. Parked it after driving home fine, went to start it 3 days later and it didn't even crank, just some flashing lights on the dash and the message "Stop Safely Now" I'm not in a financial situation to get a new car or a super costly repair so I'm coming to this forum for help.

A little history- I've had it for 4 years and never had to replace anything but tires and brakes. Most recently I replaced the brakes at a local shop (who told me they knew about regenerative braking...) and upon getting it back the regenerative breaking was nonexistent. It cant regen any power from braking at all. It continued to run fine save for that

What I've tried- disconnect battery for a day and hope the computer reset-nothing
internal battery jumpstart button- nothing
Checked MECS pump-I can't tell if it is running or not to be honest.
Pulled and replaced the orange battery disconnect-nothing
Attempted to clear CEL codes-nothing

The CEL codes-U0111 Lost communication with battery energy control module

P1A14- hybrid powertrain control module transmission disabled

P1A10-hybrid powertrain control module bat disabled

P1000 on board diagnostics II monitor drive cycle test not complete

P0685- engine control module powertrain control module power relay control circuit open

P0A0A- high voltage system interlock circuit

P1633- keep alive memory volt low

U0111- lost communication with nattery energy control module A

P0A28- battery power off circuit low

I unknowingly had a nearly dead battery when I ran these codes. The OBD reader was borrowed and I no longer have it

Ive googled these codes thats how I found out about the MECS and internal jump start but nothing so far has worked, Any help is appreciated, need to be mobile again, I am mechanically inclined so I dont mind doing work myself.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Mariner Hybrid no start

What is the voltage of the 12V battery?

"pulled and replace the orange battery disconnect" I assume you mean the orange round **** at the back right corner of the battery. There is never a reason to do this. Please ensure you have reinstalled it correctly.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast

Lowest I've seen it was 8.6v, Voltage while charging (jumper cables)it is 13.6ish

Last edited by Rick1992; 01-26-2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:10 PM

You've killed the 12V by a combination of sitting/troubleshooting/HV jump start attempts.

It's also possible that a simple 12V battery is the cause of all your problems. MANY of your codes are associated with low 12V.

Remove the 12V battery.
Clear your PCM by shorting the battery cables together and leaving them that way.
Get the battery on a charger until it's fully charged.
Take it to an auto parts store and have them test it. If it tests bad, replace it.

BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOU PROPERLY REPLACED AND ROTATED THE HV SAFETY PLUG. One of your codes indicates a fault in that.

Once you are certain you have a healthy source of 12V power attached:
  1. attach jumpers from a running vehicle
  2. Attempt two HV jump start cycles. The running vehicle is to keep the 12V voltage elevated and allow the HV jump starter to pull more curren
  3. Attempt vehicle start.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

I tried the recommended steps but no progress. Battery tested fine as far as Cold Crank Amps, charge level, etc
Note the codes were ran before any troubleshooting attempts (aside from jumper cables to another car)
I cant quite tell if the jump start button is sending any power as my display says "Display not available" and doesnt show the charge level of the hybrid battery on the drivetrain screen (all other screens seem to work fine e.g. radio, navigation)
Error lights on dash are the yellow wrench-powertrain warning indicator and the red triangle-master warning indicator

Old 01-31-2021, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

SUCCESS! After following your battery instructions I noticed I was still getting low PCM voltage codes. Fuse #5 under the hood was blown and now I feel like a fool.

Thank you Keith for your time and effort to help me. I don't know where you are but hopefully the sun is shining bright on your neighborhood today.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:32 PM

I apologize. I usually suggest check all fuses. Glad you got it sorted.

I'm in AZ, so sunshine is a pretty safe bet... except today.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: 2008 Mariner Hybrid no start

Rick, S Keith is very very helpful and saved your bacon for now but I think in general terms, a 2008 is on borrowed time. Does your regenerative braking now work? You can download a product called FORSCAN for free (if still available) to a laptop, buy a OBDII wireless device and run some routines from FORSCAN to check the health of various systems. That said, you may want to start budgeting for a replacement vehicle since the availability of expertise in the field to repair these vehicles is limited and the cost may be prohibitive.