Aftermarket Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket Stereo?

I just got an Altima Hybrid with Convenience Package this week

After signing all the papers, I commented to the dealer that I chose not to go with the tech package because I wanted to choose my own aftermarket bluetooth/gps/stereo receiver. He told me that I can't do that without voiding my hybrid warranty because it messes with the electrical system.

I was pretty dissapointed by this news because I find the head unit fairly lacking - I wasn't even planning on touching the speakers or amp. I was always under the impression that a modification to a car can't void a warranty unless the dealer can prove it broke the car. At the same time, I don't want to come into the dealership in a couple of years with a broken Hybrid component and be turned down for repair. This is especially important because this is an early generation hybrid for Nissan with unpredictable longterm reliability.

Do any of you have experience with this? Have any of you replaced the head unit in your car?

Thanks!

Last edited by rm999; 08-30-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Stereo?

make it easy on yourself. go to the junk yard and buy the Nissan tech pkg radio from a wreck. It's incredibly good. Not sure that you have the BOSE speakers with midrange....

Old 08-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rm999
IHe told me that I can't do that without voiding my hybrid warranty because it messes with the electrical system.
Congratulations on the purchase of the Altima Hybrid! It's a great car.

Your dealer is misinformed. The stereo system is a completely different electrical system than the hybrid drive system. Also, it *IS* the responsibility of the dealership to prove that the stereo did any kind of damage to your car. Your car is equipped with a fuse to protect the accessory electrical system in the event of overload.

With the Convenience Package, you don't have have the Bose head unit, amp or speakers. I don't believe you can install the navigation head unit in a non-Bose car. (I might be wrong on that. I have been searching, but haven't come up with a thread on it.) Without the Bose amp, you can actually get a cheaper harness that will allow you to adapt the head unit of your choosing to the factory connector. This keeps the install clean.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rtking
Your dealer is misinformed. The stereo system is a completely different electrical system than the hybrid drive system. Also, it *IS* the responsibility of the dealership to prove that the stereo did any kind of damage to your car. Your car is equipped with a fuse to protect the accessory electrical system in the event of overload.
Thanks, it's good to hear the systems are separate. From this thread http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q...cessities.html it looks like the install will be possible, but with the convenience package there is no factory panel that will perfectly fit a double din unit. Oh well.

Does anyone here have experience switching the head unit in their Altima Hybrid? I'm especially curious if A. there was a gap in the factory panel, and B. if the dealer reacted at all to it when you took the car in.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

i think there have been people who bought the nissan factory bezel for the nav. just try to find one with the same size