Dead Battery Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead Battery Experience

Originally Posted by GripperDon
"I'm not defending the design, but the I-key is only polled when the start button is pushed. The keyfobs aren't a passive RFID system. They are based on the "old" fob technology.

It sounds like Nissan might not beep if you close the door with the car on. It really should. Toyotas will beep on closing the door, and on attempting to lock the car."

The Altima is a not only a dumb design it is dangerous" You can put it in park, Get out press the door handle rubber exterior button and walk away, ALL WITH NOT BEEBS and the car is still on. Stupid and dangerous.

Actually...it does beep at you. Mine does anyway. I can lock the car with it still running and walk away, provided I have the key. As soon as I close the car door and walk away, however it beeps. If I try to lock the car with the key in it, it also beeps at me and it won't actually allow the doors to be locked.

I learned a new one too: if you drive away with out the key (again, the car will warn you on the display "no key"), you can even shut the car off and restart it, but ONLY IF you don't open the driver's door. As soon as you open the door, you're done for. That's a neat trick, actually...it kind of saves you if you did manage to drive away without the key.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

My wife had a decent idea to combat the "leaving the car on " problem. She told me to just keep the radio on all the time, so when i park to get out of the car, i will notice that the radio is still playing...
I would forget my head if it wasnt attached

Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Need a Plug
Thumbs up Re: Dead Battery Experience

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
My wife had a decent idea to combat the "leaving the car on " problem. She told me to just keep the radio on all the time, so when i park to get out of the car, i will notice that the radio is still playing...
I would forget my head if it wasnt attached
That is a great idea!!! Congrats on the smart Wife.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gripper,

I hope you saw today's post ("Over 15 miles in EV mode?") and link to the NAH review (see bottom). Looks like you are not alone:

It also has a proximity key, which is a transmitter that must be in the car before the engine can be started by pressing a button. It's pointless on any car – how much trouble is it to turn a key? – but especially dumb on one that shuts itself off as you're rolling into your parking space.

Case in point: just before going to bed one night, I looked out the window and noticed headlights in my driveway; the Altima was sitting there idling.

When I'd parked it, I'd forgotten to hit the engine's Stop button – hardly an oversight on a car that isn't running – and after dark, the automatic headlamps came on, eventually wearing down the battery to the point that the engine automatically started up to initiate the recharging process. If I hadn't noticed it, it would have run all night.
Full review here:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/28497

Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Need a Plug

Gee that will really bug Tomboy who seems to know it all, but really doesn't even own and Altima hybrid 9despite any comments to the contary) so knows nothing about the car I do own. It's at the dealers now so far not fixed and they are not sure what to do.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GripperDon
Gee that will really bug Tomboy who seems to know it all, but really doesn't even own and Altima hybrid 9despite any comments to the contary) so knows nothing about the car I do own. It's at the dealers now so far not fixed and they are not sure what to do.
I really don't mind if u call your daughter as "TOMBOY". If u don't want to face the truth thats nothing i/we can help u with... if u still don't belive our car with deep deep deep on while u have your engine on or Key leave inside the car why don't u go back to the Dealer again and test drive another one i don't think that hard to do??? do u want me to give u the dealer # where I brought my Altima Hybrid from??? i have never seen some one being DIXK like u oh maybe u dont even has one, oooops

Sorry for off topice but this guy just don't understand how the new tech. go just like my Grandma whom still dont' know how to used DVD player

Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomscot2
The problem was that the ICE was coming on and then dying when it was in P, so I drove it 100 yards and then put the parking brake on and waited for the HVB to charge up.
I don't have a NAH, but that does sound like the way a normal passive anti-theft system works. You can start the ICE, but after a minute, it will kill the ICE to prevent the thief from driving away. I wonder if when all your battery power died, you "lost" the programming info the ID'ed your key/keyfob to the car ???

Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I don't have a NAH, but that does sound like the way a normal passive anti-theft system works. You can start the ICE, but after a minute, it will kill the ICE to prevent the thief from driving away. I wonder if when all your battery power died, you "lost" the programming info the ID'ed your key/keyfob to the car ???
The keyfob was fine. I think the problem was that both the 12v and the High voltage batteries were drained and the alternator wasn't generting enough juice right away.

This hybrid system seems to be a just a little more complex than the straight ICE systems we are used to.

Moral of the story. ALWAYS push the ON/OFF button before you leave the vehicle.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
You can start the ICE, but after a minute, it will kill the ICE to prevent the thief from driving away.
It sounds like the NAH works about 95% of the way Toyotas work. The ICE will not shut off if you leave the car. The presence of the fob is only necessary to start the car. Not the keep it running.

Yes, a "carjacker" might get away, but as soon as the car is shut off, the car will not start again.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Last night I tested the beep warning feature of my very real NAH. I turned the engine on and deliberately opened the car, closed the door and locked it with the engine running.

Not only did it beep when I first opened the door but beeped three times when I closed it with the engine on. My Altima Hybrid has warning beeps and they work!

The only thing I didn't try was to see what happens if you have a passenger with you who also has a fob. In that case, unless you both exit at the same time, the computer might get confused as to whom is still in or out. I will need to test this.

It looks like this lady may have tested a pre-production model or she had a dud like Gripper's car. This may speak poorly to Nissan's consistent quality, but this problem is NOT in all NAH's.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery Experience

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands