NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Originally Posted by aha
I haven't driven NAH or TCH, but for those who have compared before - do you notice TCH HP/TQ advantage over NAH ? NAH demand is not very strong in here, everyone prefers Prius or TCH as always. I personally think MT,C&D reviews are good for guidelines, each individual has his/her personal taste for the ultimate decision.
Keep in mind that the NAH is not available in 42 states.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

I understand that the 08 Camrys may have more HP now, but when my wife and I compared the 07 TCH and the 07 NAH there was no doubt. The NAH had more power and pep, had a much more sporty look and ride, was more comfortable, had a more solid feel, dropped in to EV mode easier, had more standard base features and a lower price then the Camry.

The Camry has a slightly better designed trunk with a pass-through for skis or boards and it apparently has a better warning system if you accidentally leave the engine on (Neither issues have been problems for me.). It has Toyota's reputation for quality that is deserved, but not so much more then Nissan's. (Out of Toyota, Honda and Nissan, the only company I have ever had trouble with was Honda.) The Camry is an OK car, but I think the Altima is better.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am not sure that the engine was changed or altered for the Camry Hybrid to give it more horse. Can someone else confirm that? I haven't seen that on any other site.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTirak
I am not sure that the engine was changed or altered for the Camry Hybrid to give it more horse. Can someone else confirm that? I haven't seen that on any other site.
Everything I've seen indicates that there was no change; the Camry still rates 147hp (+40hp for the electric), and the Altima still rates 158hp (+40hp for the electric).

I'd be surprised if they changed the engine so soon; this version of the Camry is only a little more than a year old.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry, read some reviews of the 08 Camry that had the HP rated at 192. I guess they/I were mistaken.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just received the December issue of Consumer Reports and the Altima has now earned enough reliability data to be a recommended buy. That doesn't address the hybrid version directly but most of the car is based on the non-hybrid version and that which isn't, is based on the Toyota system so reliabilty for the hybrid should be good.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Both are fine cars. I was lucky enough to drive both as rentals in California before I bought and I think it is a case of 'courses for horses'.

My wife did not like the more reclined sitting position in the NAH for long trips and felt that a little less room was provided in the rear seats. I also opted for the Camry because the NAH's larger engine sips a little more fuel -- expecially in the winter months.

I think the NAH wins the handling contest with its firmer suspension, but the Camry provides a better ride for extended freeway driving.

In the end, it came down to what our requirements were and matching them to the offered vehicle.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree, they're both fine choices, and it really is just a matter of personal preferences which one is best. For me, the handling and little extra oomph made me incline to the NAH, but I gave the Camry hybrid (and the conventional versions of both the Altima and Camry) serious consideration as well.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
Sorry, read some reviews of the 08 Camry that had the HP rated at 192. I guess they/I were mistaken.
Possibly, although it could just as easily be the publications I was looking at that were mistaken (or out-of-date). But from what I saw, the main difference in the '08 version was that they scaled back on the options to bring the base price a little closer to the (still tax-advantaged) competition.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastMover
Both are fine cars. I was lucky enough to drive both as rentals in California before I bought and I think it is a case of 'courses for horses'.
Could you post where you rented the cars? I am starting to consider a new car and would like to drive these for longer than what a test drive at a dealership would allow.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: NAH wins over TCH & SAH in Nov. "Motor Trend"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands