Oil Changes on NAH

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast
Question Oil Changes on NAH

I know the manual recommends oil changes every 3750 miles, but does the amount of time driven on Electric Motor only alter this at all?

I am obviously going to follow the manual; but I am just curious.

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Changes on NAH

i change my at 3250, if u wait till the EV for 3750miles which mean the OD should has at least 10-20K. normaly EV only goes about 2miles with full charged than gas kick in. if u drive all local change even 3750 but more on freeway than u should do 5-7500 which on the menual too

Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is the great debate. In all honesty, even non-hybrid modern cars don't need their oil changed every 3500 miles anymore. Some may think this is just the dealer trying to rake us over, but a hybrid is complex and the ICE and the electric motors run together more often then not. I agree with following the manual, at least until the warrantee period is over.

By the way, on our very first oil change we took it to Jiffy Lube instead of Nissan. Be careful, not all Jiffy Lubes have 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. (The smaller Nissan dealers may not have them either.) If you just ask for Hybrid oil, you will most likely get 5W-30, which technically works in the Prius and regular Nissan engines. This will not kill your car, but is not the recommended oil in the Altima Hybrid manual and would be no good in the winter.

Ideally, you want 0W-20 in the winter and 5W-20 in the summer unless you have hot weather year round.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ian33
If you just ask for Hybrid oil, you will most likely get 5W-30, which technically works in the Prius and regular Nissan engines. This will not kill your car, but is not the recommended oil in the Altima Hybrid manual and would be no good in the winter.
Nissan recently updated their recommendation. This is from Nissan Tech Bulletin NTB07-007c which was released on August 27th:

"Engine Oil for the Altima Hybrid

• SAE 0W-20 is recommended.

• SAE 5W-20 OR 5W-30 engine oil may also be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for optimum fuel economy and optimum starting in cold weather."

I do a 5,000 mile/6 month schedule with 0W-20.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks lloyd123,

That's good to know about the 5W-30.

I have only had my NAH in snowy weather once. Have you noticed if yours gets sluggish? I'm a little worried about this winter.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've only had my NAH since May so I can't comment on winter performance.

I just received four Blizzak REVO1 215/60-16 snow tires on steel rims from Tire Rack today. They were $592 - $542 after a $50 rebate. I didn't spring for the tire pressure sensors which would have added $400 to the cost. Because I didn't get the sensors I can look forward to having the TPMS light illuminated for the winter months. I'll put the snow tires on around the end of Nov and put the original tires back on around Apr 1st.

I also ordered four used - take offs - 2007 Altima wheel covers on Ebay for about another $90. Tire Rack sells generic wheel covers for about $40 but they're real chessy.

Last edited by lloyd123; 10-12-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lloyd123
I've only had my NAH since May so I can't comment on winter performance.

I just received four Blizzak REVO1 215/60-16 snow tires on steel rims from Tire Rack today. They were $592 - $542 after a $50 rebate. I didn't spring for the tire pressure sensors which would have added $400 to the cost. Because I didn't get the sensors I can look forward to having the TPMS light illuminated for the winter months. I'll put the snow tires on around the end of Nov and put the original tires back on around Apr 1st.

I also ordered four used - take offs - 2007 Altima wheel covers on Ebay for about another $90. Tire Rack sells generic wheel covers for about $40 but they're real chessy.
wow, thats little too much for the cover, if u post earlier i have an extra set of steel with tires and the wheel cover also the TPMS too.

for the oil, i'm not sure u want to go 5-30 those.. cause isn't most or all hybrid should run 0-20 or like the menual said unless u don't have it than go 5-20? i got those 0-20 full sys. from a local toyota dealer when there were on sale like $3.5 a Q. and using the Bosch oil fiter from Kargen got when they were on sale $7 for 2. i have heard someone saying that u don't need to change the Sys. oil till 10K or so just the filter not sure is truth or not. I know Walmart has 5W-20 cause those new Honda using it.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by townboy
wow, thats little too much for the cover, if u post earlier i have an extra set of steel with tires and the wheel cover also the TPMS too.
I noticed last night that someone on Ebay posted a set of take-off wheel covers for $45+$15 shipping so I spent at least $30 too much - Oh well.

How did you end up with a extra set of steel wheels? The NAH doesnt come without alloy wheels. Do you also own a non hybrid Altima?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Enthusiast

I noticed last night that someone on Ebay posted a set of take-off wheel covers for $45+$15 shipping so I spent at least $30 too much - Oh well.

How did you end up with a extra set of steel wheels? The NAH doesnt come without alloy wheels. Do you also own a non hybrid Altima?
i have Hybird... i brought from someone is a long story so...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well it looks like I'm going to need to use the chessy wheel covers from Tire Rack after all. I put the snow tires on this morning and discovered that the stock Nissan wheel covers don't work with the after market steel wheels that Tire Rack sells - the notch for the valve stems don't line up with the stems on the wheels. I complained to Tire Rack that they should provide wheel covers for free but all I could get was free shipping on their $32 set.

Also of interest, I was expecting the tire pressure light to illuminate with the new set of snow tires that don't have sensors but nothing happen - even after driving over 40 miles per hour. I don't think I've ever seen the light during the start up - there are numerous lights - so I don't think it has ever worked. Normally I'd complain but in this case I think it's great because now I won't have to put up with looking at the light all winter. I always check my own tires monthly so the TPS is something I just as soon do without. I wonder if something else isn't working that I haven't noticed yet.

EDIT - Well it looks like I spoke too soon - Just came back from a 30 mile trip and about eight miles into it the TPMS light came on so it looks like I'll be seeing it for the rest of the winter after all.

Last edited by lloyd123; 11-21-2007 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Additional Info Update

Quick Reply: Oil Changes on NAH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands