Performance Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Performance Intake

Has anybody installed a K&N performance intake on there altima hybrid?
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-7061TS

Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Performance Intake

Would it even fit?
I've been looking into warm air intakes to increase winter efficiency, but haven't found anything compelling yet for the NAH.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
Would it even fit?
I've been looking into warm air intakes to increase winter efficiency, but haven't found anything compelling yet for the NAH.
They have a K&N Typhoon Kit for a altima hybrid for around $300 that I was thinking about buying but I wanted to see anyone was running it before I bought it.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I only glanced at their page, but personally I wouldn't bother. They claim an increase of 6.88 hp to the wheels on a non-hybrid. Big whoop. If you want better acceleration, you might be better off replacing the stock tires w/something w/better traction.

Any improved perf you get in the say the 1/4 mile time will be MUCH smaller than your variance between runs. (I've taken my Z and former Maxima to the track before.) On a side note, you'd probably get a HUGE variance on the NAH depending on the SOC of the HV battery. Low SOC and/or high HV battery temps would probably yield crappy times.

When I used to have an 02 Maxima and frequented maxima.org, it seemed like lots of people who screwed around w/these K&N filters ended up having damaged mass air flow sensors. Looking at the pics, w/o CAI, you'd be pulling in a lot of warm engine compartment air, further hurting performance vs. the stock airbox. (At the track, cold temps give you better times in the 1/4, except if it's too low and you get poor traction.)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I only glanced at their page, but personally I wouldn't bother. They claim an increase of 6.88 hp to the wheels on a non-hybrid. Big whoop. If you want better acceleration, you might be better off replacing the stock tires w/something w/better traction.

Any improved perf you get in the say the 1/4 mile time will be MUCH smaller than your variance between runs. (I've taken my Z and former Maxima to the track before.) On a side note, you'd probably get a HUGE variance on the NAH depending on the SOC of the HV battery. Low SOC and/or high HV battery temps would probably yield crappy times.

When I used to have an 02 Maxima and frequented maxima.org, it seemed like lots of people who screwed around w/these K&N filters ended up having damaged mass air flow sensors. Looking at the pics, w/o CAI, you'd be pulling in a lot of warm engine compartment air, further hurting performance vs. the stock airbox. (At the track, cold temps give you better times in the 1/4, except if it's too low and you get poor traction.)
Thanks for the reply. I heard somewhere that the hybrid ran better in warmer climates (warm air). So I thought that by adding a short ram intake I could gain some mpg's. But I don't want to damage the maf sensor.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think that, if you add a WARM air intake, it will help.
Have seen this discussed for other hybrids on hypermiling sites.

If you figure out a way to do that on the NAH, please let us know!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cephraim
I think that, if you add a WARM air intake, it will help.
Have seen this discussed for other hybrids on hypermiling sites.

If you figure out a way to do that on the NAH, please let us know!
I will most likely be picking up a fujita short ram intake or a k&n intake in the next few weeks.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeper01
I will most likely be picking up a fujita short ram intake or a k&n intake in the next few weeks.
I still wouldn't bother. There are lots of things you can do to improve mileage besides screwing around w/that and risking your MAF sensor.

Maybe you're better off w/an engine block heater. A number of people on Priuschat have one installed to cut down the warmup time.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

How much faster does the engine block heater warm up the engine and what climate is it most useful in?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:18 AM
Default Ebh

Originally Posted by mean-boy
How much faster does the engine block heater warm up the engine and what climate is it most useful in?
I can't speak to the NAH but for the 04-09 Priuses people have done some calculations at to the cost savings, if any. It would help A LOT for people in cold climates and conditions and it seems like it'd still help for people in hot climates. Keep in mind the 04 to 09 Priuses have a thermos to keep the coolant warm. It's pumped in there on shut down (and back out when powering up) but the EBH still helps.

Look at results for queries like http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&start=10&sa=N.

I've found stuff like:
http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/heatgames/pagetwo.html - just go to the bottom
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...tml#post880279
https://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...tml#post478639
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-p...chat-shop.html

FireEngineer apparently makes rounds and does free installs (dunno if he ever made it to my area). Unfortunately, I have no EBH and will be moving somewhere where I won't be able to plug one in.

Last edited by cwerdna; 08-29-2009 at 02:02 AM. Reason: added another URL

Quick Reply: Performance Intake

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands