Poor Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Poor Gas Mileage

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did some driving this weekend and noticed the gas mileage going up the longer I was in EV mode. Good to know. I was hoping I didn't have a lemon!

Sarah~

Old 03-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some hybrid owners use an engine block heater to speed up or ensure optium fuel efficiency. I hate to think what mileage you would obtain in real winter conditions that some of us experience three or so months a year.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

As you will see from my signature, we are at the bottom of the mpg performance and it has not increased significantly after 10,000 miles and 19 tanks of gas. I explain the poor mileage as follows: The primary driver does nothing to maximize fuel economy; the car spends most of its time at 70 miles per hour; and there are a lot of long up and down grades traversed going to and from work. The cold is not a big factor here in San Diego.

If has similar driving characteristics and is gettting a lot better mileage please let me know.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I explain the poor mileage as follows: The primary driver does nothing to maximize fuel economy; the car spends most of its time at 70 miles per hour; and there are a lot of long up and down grades traversed going to and from work. The cold is not a big factor here in San Diego.

If has similar driving characteristics and is gettting a lot better mileage please let me know.

I gave my hybrid to my mom to drive for about 2 weeks and my heart was just hurting seeing quick pulls off lights to 50-60 on city streets, and an average of 85mph on the freeway... surprisingly after a tank of this torture, the car still got 32mpg (hand calculated).
I am in cali, LA area, so about the same weather as you.

Do you rely on cruise control while driving?

Last edited by ILoveChess100; 03-06-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100

Do you rely on cruise control while driving?
I use cruise, but I don't know about my wife, the primary driver.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tomscot2
I use cruise, but I don't know about my wife, the primary driver.

Last week I put my car on 70 with cc for a 60 mile trip and it averaged 35.9 mpg on the computer readout (which is prb around 33.8 ish in reality). That was with 2 ppl in the car, and a trunkfull of luggage. Few hills on my trip, but I would have to say that the mileage is still a bit better than what you are reporting. Perhaps ask your wife to try out the cruise control and see if it makes a difference?

Old 03-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ILoveChess100
Last week I put my car on 70 with cc for a 60 mile trip and it averaged 35.9 mpg on the computer readout (which is prb around 33.8 ish in reality). That was with 2 ppl in the car, and a trunkfull of luggage. Few hills on my trip, but I would have to say that the mileage is still a bit better than what you are reporting. Perhaps ask your wife to try out the cruise control and see if it makes a difference?
i'm pretty sure it will getting better with out CC on Hybrid if u have a chance go the same road and do it again... CC on our Hybrid just suxk cause they can't control the gas like u do unless 100% flate road or down hill. i know i have tried few time on the same road when i'm off work which atleast 3 or 4MPG better than CC

Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by townboy
i'm pretty sure it will getting better with out CC on Hybrid if u have a chance go the same road and do it again... CC on our Hybrid just suxk cause they can't control the gas like u do unless 100% flate road or down hill. i know i have tried few time on the same road when i'm off work which atleast 3 or 4MPG better than CC

Well I just did this same trip again last night (picking my gf up at the airoport) and I had the car on 62 mph cc the whole way to LAX, then driving manually around the airoport (almost entirely in EV), and back home to Lake Forest again with 62mph cruise. Readout: 39.5mpg !

I know that I too can get around 2 mpg higher without cc, but it takes an incredible effort to do that, and with a close to 40 average with cruise control, I really am not going to say anything bad about the computer's ability to drive efficiently :-)

The whole trip was like ~127 miles btw.

But to get back on the topic, the idea of using cc was that a driver that does not drive efficiently will certainly see an improvement in MPG if using cc. On the other hand someone that has really learned how to squeeze the most out of the car will only be hurt from using cc.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is amazing what warmer weather will do. The last two days in the Great Lakes, Temps have been near 60 and the MPG went up almost 3 MPG with the same route and driving conditions except temp. Travels longer in EV mode too....naturally.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JTirak
It is amazing what warmer weather will do. The last two days in the Great Lakes, Temps have been near 60 and the MPG went up almost 3 MPG with the same route and driving conditions except temp. Travels longer in EV mode too....naturally.

I second that... Its starting to be around 80 here and my readout has gone up from ~38 to 41mpg...

--A

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands