Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Article on Smart Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Banned
Default Article on Smart Car

MSNBC Story

Old 07-22-2005, 07:08 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: Article on Smart Car

Why would I purchase that when I can purchase an HCH for about $20K, and get 50 mpg? Or a Prius for about $22K? (I am not sure how much a Prius goes for nowadays.)

Old 07-22-2005, 07:13 AM
Banned

If GM was selling it, they might put an Employee Discount and mark it down to 16K

I know the mini Cooper had a hard time gettting the Feds approval, and I would not be suprized if they say the Smart Car is too small to meet safely regualtions.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Diesel Driver

Even in Europe the Smart range is considered expensive for what you get - or don't get as the case may be.

Fortunately though some people are willing to pay the price to be different. Which they certainly are.

I test drove one a couple of times and loved it. Reverse parking is such a breeze. Makes you laugh when you can look over your shoulder and see the road two feet behind the rear wheels.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Banned

I'd still have gotten my Insight, but there are different tastes out there.

The Smart car might appeal to anyone wanting very high fuel economy, but still afraid of hybrid technology.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-22-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
I know the mini Cooper had a hard time gettting the Feds approval, and I would not be suprized if they say the Smart Car is too small to meet safely regualtions.
I read that the Smarts are very safe in that they retain their structural integrity during a crash, and bounce off whatever they hit, or what hit them.

For what they cost though, I think they should be a hybrid. Then they would really get kick-*** mileage with even lower rates of pollution.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Site Founder

They'd probably be a virtual beach ball if an SUV hit them though...

"Bouncing" isn't a good thing when you're in an accident. For the best safety, one would want to deccelerate over the longest period of time to minimize force on the body. A sudden reversal of direction means extremely quick decceleration.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There aren't too many options for very small cars...

Crumple zones just can't exist when the car is already as small as can be, so from that point of view, even though it's not nearly as "good" for the occupants, it's better for the car to remain intact, and not be crushed to best protect the occupants from external damage. The idea is that you are safer in one of them than any motorcycle, while getting motorcycle (or better) FE. It probably won't be so popular in the US due to the dominance of large cars and SUVs on the road, but I'm sure some people will be happy to downsize. Personally I think they are too expensive for what you get, but interesting and will ease the way for better and cheaper city cars.

Old 07-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I'll pass till they get the mileage up around a hundred.