Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Mitsubishi "gas on us" program

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Default Mitsubishi "gas on us" program

This is a great move on their part. It could cost them a lot depending on how things go, but it certainly is a good way to compete against hybrids.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Proudest Monkey
Default Re: Mitsubishi "gas on us" program

How does it work? Do you have a link to direct us to?

Old 09-25-2005, 06:40 PM

I just saw it advertised on tv. I was kind of hoping others might have more details. But from what I saw it was basicly they would pay for your gas for a year.

Old 09-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

In the very small, fine print I saw quickly flashing by at the end of the commercial, I saw "12,000mi", and "2.95/gal". So they may either discount the car by a like amount, or give you a gas card / similar. There's probably a section that says "per EPA estimate of the car you buy" (I only saw this commercial once myself, so cut me some slack here)

$2.95/gal may be a bit pricey, considering how prices had gone down over the last couple of weeks, post-Katrina.

However, had Rita taken out the refineries to the extent that was forecast, $2.95 would be a bargain from their standpoint.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just rough numbers, but if it were a 30 mpg car...

That's about 400 gallons for the year, at 12K miles annually. $2.95/gal for the year would come out to $1180.

Personally, I'd take a "employee cost" deal rather than the "free gas for a year." Mostly, because for the few cars I had considered before buying the HAH, the employee cost was worth a few more thousand dollars than the $1180 saving from Mitsubishi.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found a link...

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/GasCardOffer

Most of our questions are answered in the fine-print disclaimers at the bottom.

It seems to imply that they've made deals with several gas companies to provide a gas card. You have to pick one of the "qualifying" companies (so you can't buy your gas just anywhere).

They also indicate that this can't be combined with any other offers -- so it's not over-and-above other common things like rebates and financing deals, it's instead-of other offers -- you have to pick what you want... cash-back rebate, lower interest rates if you're financing through them, or the gas card.

I still don't understand how they establish the specific value they intend to credit to your card. Is it
(12000 / you cars EPA fuel economy rating) * $2.95?
Do they adjust it based on actual average price of gas (so $2.95 is just a cap -- when gas is $2.65 they pocket the 30 cents)?
If it is based on EPA, then it is city or highway rating or something in between?

Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Go Army!

There are a few more details in the press release at http://tinyurl.com/8walf

Each customer after purchasing a new 2005 model-year Mitsubishi vehicle will receive in the mail pre-paid debit cards, totaling from $1,500 to $2,500. The amount varies by vehicle depending on two factors:

The estimated amount of gas required to drive the new vehicle for 12,000 miles (at the EPA combined rating for the vehicle).

Whether the recommended fuel for the vehicle is regular (computed at $2.80 per gallon) or premium (computed at $3.10 per gallon). These rounded prices were fixed at the average price per gallon as reported in the AAA daily fuel report of Monday, September 19, 2005.

Customers can select from a variety of major motor oil companies for each debit card.