Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Notebook Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Site Founder
Default Notebook Help

Looks like I can't get an Apple Powerbook after all, as my $900 Adobe Suite isn't both PC & Mac-ready.

I likely won't look at anything that isn't Dell, Sony or IBM. We've gotten Dells for years. Sony's are supposed to be good for media, but I have no experience with them. IBMs are supposed to be the ideal for small workstations, but I find them terribly ugly. Any advice?

I'm currently running on a 1.8 Ghz P4 with 512 RAM. It's too slow for me -- especially when I have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, WS_FTP, Firefox, Thunderbird and Trillian running all at once. I haven't been keeping up to date with hardware advances. How much faster would a 1.8 Ghz Pentium M run, for comparison?

Old 04-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Notebook Help

All Windows family laptops are made by three or four companies, so "brand" does not really matter. Buy the model that meets your specification requirements (RAM, HD, speed) and buy at least a two year replacement warranty, as laptops get broken (and break on their own) pretty darn easily.

We have used Dell and Sony and have had MOSTLY good luck with them (failed motherboards in each brand, power supply problems with the Dell ) and have not really determined which brand is superior. Sonys are usually smaller and more portable and have better brighter screens. Too bad you can't go with the PowerBook - the best of all of them !!

Good Luck !!

Old 04-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Site Founder

Trust me, I'd go with the Powerbook G5 when (if?) it comes out. Anyone want to donate Adobe Photoshop CS for Mac? I'd ditch the rest of the suite if it meant moving to Mac!

My main problem is that I don't know much about hardware. How does a Pentium M compare to a Pentium 4?

Old 04-28-2005, 07:22 PM

How much does Adobe Photoshop CS cost?

Old 04-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Site Founder

The Photoshop CS2 student license is $600. And I thought Apple's premium would be the worst of my problems!

Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Site Founder

Wait... a... minute!
http://store.adobe.com/store/product...otoshopUpgrade

Upgrade! As long as this can be done cross-OS, I'd be willing to do that for $150. I need to look into it.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:18 PM

Adobe Photoshop CS2 Upgrade
To install this upgrade successfully, you will need a licensed version of Adobe Photoshop CS or Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or earlier, on the same platform as this purchase.
NOTE:This upgrade does not apply to Adobe Photoshop Elements, Photoshop Album, Photoshop Limited Edition, or PhotoDeluxe licensed users.

Last edited by tbaleno; 04-28-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Site Founder

No, way! Hmm. There's got to be another way. That snippet actually doesn't make practical sense, though. The upgrade is to CS2. People who have CS, like me, should be able to upgrade as well. That isn't mentioned there. I think I'll call Adobe.