Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Your total energy use/CO2 output...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Your total energy use/CO2 output...

Originally Posted by lakedude
I'm a pretty serious hybrid owning hypermiler but according to this website:

http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeact...boncalculator/
Wow, this is an awesome tool. Thanks;

I emailed the link to several of my employees and let us just say that some are looking at their choices far more carefully (at least considering them).

Like lars-ss, I've been at this for the better part of the last 15 years. I scored 6200.

Thanks

MSantos

Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I scored a 9500 with this mainly because I drive alot my last electric bill was only $15 buck though. I've always used compact flourescent bulbs everywhere in my condo. Also the computer, microwave and TV are all plugged into power strips which are turn off after use. What stays plugged in lamps, oven, fridge and my clock. Your TV and some other appliances suck power when not in use. I've actually am waiting for a call to see if they can put solar power in a condo. Still need to check the the Home Owners Association on this too. I wonder if the eletric company will actually cut me a check if I generate more power than I use. I keep reading stories about people having there meters run backwards I what to see that myself.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Msantos, glad you like it. I don't like it cause my score is so high!

Do any of you with those tiny scores live alone?

Updates:

I've been using CFs for years as much because they last longer as because they save energy.

The new sliding door is installed. The first thing I noticed is that the house is much quieter. The new door is more sound proof. Hopefully it is more weather/energy proof as well (I'm sure it is).

Since starting the whole living in the bedroom thing I've not recieved an electric bill but this effort has got to be helping. I'll give further updates. It will take a full year to be completely sure that good is being done.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by lakedude
Msantos, glad you like it. I don't like it cause my score is so high!

Do any of you with those tiny scores live alone?

Updates:

I've been using CFs for years as much because they last longer as because they save energy.

The new sliding door is installed. The first thing I noticed is that the house is much quieter. The new door is more sound proof. Hopefully it is more weather/energy proof as well (I'm sure it is).

Since starting the whole living in the bedroom thing I've not recieved an electric bill but this effort has got to be helping. I'll give further updates. It will take a full year to be completely sure that good is being done.
No, I have a wife and a daughter. We've always been very aware of the environment and we manage our power consumption very carefully. Also, curb-side residential recycling is commonplace around the city once every week.

I built our two-storey house back in 1996 as a high efficiency home (R2000) and it has been paying off - especially in the cold (nasty) canadian winters and hot prairie summers.

Here are some of things we've settled on:

-We run all lighting on compact flourescent with infra-red switch activation on the some areas such as kitchen and family room.
-Natural gas furnace is a variable speed Bryant 96% efficiency model
-Air conditioning is a high efficiency 17 Seer from Carrier - integrated with the furnace. Climate control is managed by a WhiteRogers programable control panel.
-The windows of all livable rooms are directed to the south for maximum solar heat in the winter. Blinds are used in the summer to let in just enough light while blocking most of the heat from penetrating the living areas.
-All appliances (kitchen and laundry) are high efficiency models designed to run on solar power provided by my 25KW solar tracking Siemens sourced panels.
-My lawnmower is a battery operated black&decker (cordless) charged by a 5W solar panel mounted on the roof of the attached garage.
-The other thing that helps my score is the fact that our electricity is derived exclusively from Hydro-Electric sources.

There's still room for many improvements but I believe technology and opportunity do play an important role for most of us. Driving cleaner vehicles is yet another aspect that brings us all together.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well I live in Cali not to far from the ocean so I don't use AC. It's busted anyway figured since I don't use it I wouldn't waste my $ replacing it. My son lives with me about 3 days a week however, my other half and her children come at least once or twice a week less lately I've been at her place. I think the compact flourescent bulbs help alot I only buy them when on sale though. Anything around $2 per bulb or less is good. And my place only uses electricity no gas so I didn't have any other bills to put in. Even during the winter months here I just throw an extra comforter on my bed. I'm from Detroit so it's not really what I know as being cold. I only heat my son's room when he is in it and the living room prior to getting him up in the morning. Since being in a condo it heats up fairly quick even with just cooking breakfast. I need every penny I have tenants that are being evicted and just received a water bill for over $2800. That's only three months can you say did someone leave the water on.