07 TCH Changing Struts and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default 07 TCH Changing Struts and other stuff

Well this up loader made life difficult tonight. Here is a greatly reduced pdf file of the 50 pictures making up my crude strut changing documentary.

Hopefully it will be helpful to others as our cars age. Mine has 62k miles and both front struts were completely shot. The rears were weak.

If anyone wants higher resolution, let me know.

Enjoy!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
struts.pdf (1.83 MB, 103 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 TCH Changing Struts and other stuff

very nice! thank you.

what's "rocks tcrap in bottom cushion"?

out of curiosity, why did you have to have it on four jacks? well, 2 jacks and 2 stands? instead of doing one end and moving over to the other?

also, i have noticed "taped weights do not stick to scuzz". does that mean taped weights do not stick to dirty inner rim? aren't, like someone here said, THC rims supposed to be "all taped weights"? and you have a weight on the inside rim edge?

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

what's "rocks tcrap in bottom cushion"?

A - That would be "rocks + crap", rocks, pocket change, melted candy, cell phone parts, etc., anyone with kids will know. Now is the time to scrub it all out.
-----------------------------

out of curiosity, why did you have to have it on four jacks? well, 2 jacks and 2 stands? instead of doing one end and moving over to the other?

A - No. But I have a slightly pitched driveway, and I was teaching my 16 year old. The safer, the better. Plus, when delivering 154 ft/lbs of torque to the spindle, all four up is probably best.
----------------------------------------

also, i have noticed "taped weights do not stick to scuzz". does that mean taped weights do not stick to dirty inner rim? aren't, like someone here said, THC rims supposed to be "all taped weights"? and you have a weight on the inside rim edge?

A- Mine appear to have clamp weights for inner and tape weights for outer, including a couple that fell off due to "scuzz" (ie - dirt, oil, etc).

Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

gotcha. thank you.

it was in one of my posts back here, i was "reminded" that ALL TCH wheels are balanced with taped weights; that was in response to my remark that alloy wheels do not hold rim weights well. hence my curiosity.

yes, i have noticed the slope.

great info. lots, lots of work. i know, i have done this.

let me know in 2 mths how goes it. you know my experience with shock changes.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:03 AM

oops, minor correction... The "rocks + crap under cushion" refers to the the bottom strut cushion which literally had gravel and other FOD embedded in it. Even sections of the coil spring were worn away from constant contact with this debris.

The crap found under the seat cushion was another matter and very teenage in origin.

Another thing.... my son lost one of the strut plate mount bolts which caused me to pull out the entire fender skirt to look for it. Both the fender skirt and the energy absorbing bolster at the rear of the fender are unique to the hybrid Camry. My supposition is that it is for sound deadening purposes. Nevertheless, there was several pounds of wet, rotting leaves, mud and plant matter compacted behind the bolster. I believe this to be a small design oversight that will cause problems for folks in the snow country.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the PDF. Great info there.