2007 hybrid, this could be dangerous....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 hybrid, this could be dangerous....

Does anyone know if this is for all 2007 TCHs, or just the ones in the US? I think Canada has different regulations but I could be totally wrong on that one!

I leave my lights on AUTO all the time too because my boyfriend couldn't figure out the lights when we got the car a month ago.

Any CDNS out there know the answer? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dianmichele
Does anyone know if this is for all 2007 TCHs, or just the ones in the US? I think Canada has different regulations but I could be totally wrong on that one!

I leave my lights on AUTO all the time too because my boyfriend couldn't figure out the lights when we got the car a month ago.

Any CDNS out there know the answer? Thanks!
I am quite sure that in Canada the DRL lights can not be turned off. I have read where a Camry built for the US, and taken to Canada had to have the stalk adjusted so that the DRL could not be canceled. Not sure about the wipers/ lights must be on, thing in Canada.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Camry Freak

I wasn't aware that any cars had lights that automatically went on with the wipers.

At the end of the day, no matter what kind of car you drive, it is ultimately the DRIVER's job to ensure that his/her car is being driven safely. Therefore it is the driver that needs to turn the lights on in the rain. The car shouldn't be responsible for it.

There was another thread a few weeks ago from someone that said that it was dangerous because the Camry's lights won't go on if you "accidentally" turned the light switch off. Well duh- if you turn the switch off, the lights won't go on. Same thing applies here. We simply can't rely on our cars to do the thinking for us on every little thing.

This whole thing reminds me of a quote:
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

Sorry for the harshness, but yeash- next someone is going to complain that cars are dangerous because they won't stop if the driver forgets to step on the brake.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Perhaps it's because I'm in Canada, where we've had DRLs for years (and we can't even turn them off), but it never occured to me not to manuallly turn my headlights on when it's raining or foggy. I always knew that the taillights would not be on with just the DRLs, so it's pretty automatic for me to check the dash headlight indicator, and if AUTO hasn't already turned on the headlights when it's raining, I do it. Just doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Cars are dangerous. I need it to stop for me if I forget to put my foot on the brake, otherwise I might crash... ;-)

Old 02-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Last post on this subject for me. Some of the people who replied just do not get it. My point was a simple one. Most new cars, if not all new cars, will put your lights on shortly after you activate the windshield wipers for anything except the one swipe action or the window wash cycle. Knowing your car will do this, I thought it might be important for you to realize that in the case of the 2007 camry hybrid, not only do the headlights not come on in the "auto" setting, ( the DRL are considered enough by Toyota), but the tail lights to not come on either. Bottom line.....if you drive in the "auto" position, as I do, and you put your windshield wipers on, either satisfy yourself with the DRL being on with no headlights and no taillights, or switch the headlights on.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by acco20
...... Most new cars, if not all new cars, will put your lights on shortly after you activate the windshield wipers for anything except the one swipe action or the window wash cycle. ......
I was not aware of this being the case.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Camry Freak

Most new cars, if not all new cars, will put your lights on shortly after you activate the windshield wipers for anything except the one swipe action or the window wash cycle.
What cars are you talking about? I've never heard of this feature.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Most new cars, if not all new cars, will put your lights on shortly after you activate the windshield wipers for anything except the one swipe action or the window wash cycle.
I wouldn't say most cars. Yes some do, but they're a minority at the moment.

Again, I wouldn't think twice about activating the taillights (even though I have DRLs) in the heavy rain. Apparently most people agree with me since I always see people with headlights on (not just parking + DRL but full low beams) in the rain.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 AM

...Most new cars, if not all new cars, will put your lights on shortly after you activate the windshield wipers for anything except the one swipe action or the window wash cycle. Knowing your car will do this...
I haven't come across one yet that does that. It may be in some cars, but certainly not common enough that I would be assuming that to be normal behaviour. Which is why I always think of turning on my lights myself, as I mentioned previously.
Since you've obviously had cars that support that feature, out of curiosity, what kind?

Quick Reply: 2007 hybrid, this could be dangerous....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands