2007 TCH - Red top Optima OK for 12v replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 TCH - Red top Optima OK for 12v replacement?

Hello,

Today's the day my 2007 TCH finally had its 12v die (ok, second time in less than 2 weeks). I think my daughter left the back seat map lights on again and we haven't gone anywhere for a couple of days.

Called the dealer, $350 for a replacement. Ouch. Started looking locally, but every auto parts computer tries to push a standard liquid acid battery, which I think is potentially misleading since in the trunk for safety it should clearly be the AGM type (IMO). So that didn't work. But one of them suggested BatteriesPlus for an Optima battery.

Called them up and they had it in stock. Web site clearly mapped to the yellow top. Other threads showed yellow top. All seemed good.

I get there and they give me a red top. Me, not having looked into it closely enough before hand, bought the line that the red/yellow were the same. Now I see there are specific differences. I suspect for a regular car the red top would be acceptable. I'm not sure with the hybrids, thus my question and dilemma.

Is the red top OK for this application in the TCH? Or should I borrow the friend's car again and go back for a yellow top (the place is about 25 miles away)?

Thanks
Greg

Old 05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 TCH - Red top Optima OK for 12v replacement?

you need YELLOW TOP, not red top. YELLOW. yellow is storage capacity, red is cranking power. red will work ok, but it's a waste. 12V battery is nothing but a back up power storage for electronics.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:21 PM

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-photos-23466/

Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

That's what I thought. I'm rather annoyed with myself. I went in for the yellow, expected the yellow, but failed to do my normal research to make sure I knew what I needed and was getting, so I fell for the guy at the store's line "they're the same." Lesson learned.

Lest I forget, thanks for the replies to all my questions in the various threads.

Appreciate the pointers and answers.
Greg

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
you need YELLOW TOP, not red top. YELLOW. yellow is storage capacity, red is cranking power. red will work ok, but it's a waste. 12V battery is nothing but a back up power storage for electronics.

Last edited by gsyoungblood; 05-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM

you welcome. it's rather not big deal. one has more cranking power, one has more storage capacity. red top will most likely serve you well for years to come.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/specs.php

main difference is that it takes much longer before deep cycle yellow top discharges.