2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Even if they put in a full size spare, it doesn't mean it will be a matching alloy wheel. Many cars with full size spares and alloy wheels still use a steel spare.
True.. but it'll look better... have you seen the Prius' temporary spare? It's hideous! It's pale yellow!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
True.. but it'll look better... have you seen the Prius' temporary spare? It's hideous! It's pale yellow!
The ugly looks are intentional. The non full size spare is temporary. Typically they warn you to not drive over 55 or don't drive over 50 miles.

Plus you only have one spare. Get your tire fixed ASAP. You are a stuck if you get another flat!

My previous car had a "full" size spare (same diameter). I didn't think of it as much as a feature. It just took up more trunk space! If it had been a true full size spare the 255 size tire would have taken up even more space. The spare was "only" a 215.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
The ugly looks are intentional. The non full size spare is temporary. Typically they warn you to not drive over 55 or don't drive over 50 miles.

Plus you only have one spare. Get your tire fixed ASAP. You are a stuck if you get another flat!

My previous car had a "full" size spare (same diameter). I didn't think of it as much as a feature. It just took up more trunk space! If it had been a true full size spare the 255 size tire would have taken up even more space. The spare was "only" a 215.
Our temporary spare is a T155/70R16 tyre....

Old 08-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

On a full-size vehicle (like my Suburban) a full size spare is nice to have, but it takes up quite a bit of space. I need a full-size spare in case I get a flat when pulling my boat - I wouldn't want to trust a "temp" size.

On the Camry, I have no problem with a cheapie "temp" spare.

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Full size spare seems like proverbial 5th wheel, not sure what to do with it. If it's exactly the same tire and rim, maybe you could use it in rotation and extend time before need to buy new set, but otherwise if it's not the same, then it shouldn't be used for daily driving and it just takes extra weight and space in trunk. FYI, originally Honda Accord Hybrid didn't have spare tire at all to save trunk space, they would give you some can of sealant to pump and seal the tire if you had slow leak, if the tire ruptured, you were doomed. IMO run flat tires would be the best option, I just don't understand why it's so expensive to put some piece of rubber around the rim so you could drive on it even without air. We already have tire pressure sensors.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:18 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My TCH was in for its second (16 000-km) service last week, and I took the opportunity to pick up the new Canadian 2008 Camry brochure, and also examine the Kentucky-made TCH floor sample. Here's what I found.

In almost every respect the Canadian 2007 and 2008 TCH's appear identical. To address what I found, and also some of the differences claimed in this thread, the Canadian 2008 TCH:
(a) has a temporary, not a full-sized spare;
(b) does not have dual-heat-setting seat heaters;
(c) has a different non-NAV radio part number than my TCH. My Japanese-made TCH from July 2006 has radio P/N 51822. The 2008's is P/N A51862. (It's just below and to the right of the volume control.) Perhaps some of the reported "no-volume" and other bugs have been cured?
(d) is still not offered with factory-installed NAV. The P/Ns of the dealer-installed NAV option for 2008 are identical to those of the 2007 TCH, and so a dealer-installed NAV will still not display hybrid vehicle information. It's difficult to understand why they are still persisting in doing this!
(e) the foam-rubber strip between the top of the radiator and the steel cross-member (which has a habit of blowing out, landing on the adjacent hot exhaust manifold, and burning) has been approximately doubled in thickness, but still appears to be a friction fit. The service manager says that the replacement foam strip is not yet available, but perhaps the new version will soon be available for retro-fitting to our vehicles. This is the only difference I could see under the hood!
(f) the Jasper Pearl colour has been dropped for 2008;
(g) the head rests have not been changed for the "active" type that Toyota announced some months ago;
(h) the luxury package now includes rear-seat reading lamps;
(i) in all other respects the features and specifications listed in the brochures appear to be identical, with the exception of the curb weight, which is 19 kg (42 lb) lighter. I wonder how it was reduced. (It's not the windshield — it still has the acoustically-absorbent laminated glass.)

Stan

Last edited by SPL; 08-27-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added points (g), (h) and (i).
Old 08-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SPL
My TCH was in for its second (16 000-km) service last week, and I took the opportunity to pick up the new Canadian 2008 Camry brochure, and also examine the Kentucky-made TCH floor sample. Here's what I found.

In almost every respect the Canadian 2007 and 2008 TCH's appear identical. To address what I found, and also some of the differences claimed in this thread, the Canadian 2008 TCH:
(a) has a temporary, not a full-sized spare;
(b) does not have dual-heat-setting seat heaters;
(c) has a different non-NAV radio part number than my TCH. My Japanese-made TCH from July 2006 has radio P/N 51822. The 2008's is P/N A51862. (It's just below and to the right of the volume control.) Perhaps some of the reported "no-volume" and other bugs have been cured?
(d) is still not offered with factory-installed NAV. The P/Ns of the dealer-installed NAV option for 2008 are identical to those of the 2007 TCH, and so a dealer-installed NAV will still not display hybrid vehicle information. It's difficult to understand why they are still persisting in doing this!
(e) the foam-rubber strip between the top of the radiator and the steel cross-member (which has a habit of blowing out, landing on the adjacent hot exhaust manifold, and burning) has been approximately doubled in thickness, but still appears to be a friction fit. The service manager says that the replacement foam strip is not yet available, but perhaps the new version will soon be available for retro-fitting to our vehicles. This is the only difference I could see under the hood!
(f) the Jasper Pearl colour has been dropped for 2008;
(g) the head rests have not been changed for the "active" type that Toyota announced some months ago;
(h) the luxury package now includes rear-seat reading lamps;
(i) in all other respects the features and specifications listed in the brochures appear to be identical, with the exception of the curb weight, which is 19 kg (42 lb) lighter. I wonder how it was reduced. (It's not the windshield — it still has the acoustically-absorbent laminated glass.)

Stan
SPL, thanks for checking!

I'm still annoyed that dual (or multi for that matter) stage heating isn't available.

As for the headrests, I don't think the design will be any different on the outside between active and non-active. So I'm guessing you're quoting the brochure as not having that feature?

The "B" Package always had reading lamps as part of the package.

19kg lighter eh? Interesting. My 2005 Prius gained 30kg over the 2004 according to the brochure and I have no idea where 30kg came from. Pins were added but they're only a few grammes!

Lastly, did you check the interior door frame? Are they still body colour??? I wonder why Toyota would cut corners like that on their Camry. I can understand if it's their lower cars like the Yaris or Corolla but Camry???

Edit: I have another two questions:

Did you know if the doors had extra silver trim (a la SE edition) or is it the same plastic as the 07 models?

Also, did they put a lid over the small auxiliary box behind the shifter or is it still an open air box?

Last edited by Tideland Prius; 08-27-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

My 2008 US (KY-built 08/07) TCH just arrived.

Temp spare.
Single seat heat setting (though I haven't tried it!).
No silver trim on the inside doors (except the chrome handle).
No lid on the box behind the shifter.
Not sure about the foam strip under the hood without an '07 to compare it to.

This is a loaded car (leather, NAV, roof) -- any questions about changes from the '07s, fire away.

I love it so far, BTW. I'm used to a tighter-handling car (last two vehicles -- Infiniti G35 coupe, Honda Civic Si), but while the TCH is definitely softer, it's not unbearably puffy. Getting 35 MPG doesn't hurt, either. And the Blue Ribbon Metallic is gorgeous.

Ryan

Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rspaight
My 2008 US (KY-built 08/07) TCH just arrived.

Temp spare.
Single seat heat setting (though I haven't tried it!).
No silver trim on the inside doors (except the chrome handle).
No lid on the box behind the shifter.
Not sure about the foam strip under the hood without an '07 to compare it to.

This is a loaded car (leather, NAV, roof) -- any questions about changes from the '07s, fire away.

I love it so far, BTW. I'm used to a tighter-handling car (last two vehicles -- Infiniti G35 coupe, Honda Civic Si), but while the TCH is definitely softer, it's not unbearably puffy. Getting 35 MPG doesn't hurt, either. And the Blue Ribbon Metallic is gorgeous.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! Looks like it really is a carry-over (except we're still wondering about the weight savings). Does the US brochure state a change in weight?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Enthusiast

I don't have a brochure, but I'll check the owner's manual tonight and let you know what it says. (This car comes with a freaking library of books.)

Ryan

Quick Reply: 2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands