3 Years in Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 3 Years in Review

I didn't pay for the water pump as it was covered under an extended warranty I purchased when the car was new. So effectively I paid for it 3 years ago. The estimate before they knew I had extended coverage was $493.00.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

3 years, 60K miles.
I have had the steering assembly recall, the dash rattle, console squeak, and aux audio port TSBs done. Plus the expected items like oil/filter changes, and replacement of the tires and both headlight bulbs.
That's it, hopefully it will stay this way.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Old Boomer Techie

2 years, 10 months and 5 days and 43,318 miles. Haven't touched it except for oil changes, the brake TSB and a replaced left side rocker trim panel thanks to a quarry truck with an unsecured load.

My full payback day, based on a very detailed spreadsheet with actual operating costs vs. projected operating costs on my traded Tundra, will be sometime in October if things continue like they have up till now. If gas goes up again this summer, it will be sooner.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john312
3 years, 60K miles.
I have had the steering assembly recall, the dash rattle, console squeak, and aux audio port TSBs done. Plus the expected items like oil/filter changes, and replacement of the tires and both headlight bulbs.
That's it, hopefully it will stay this way.
Aux audio port TSB tell me more, I must have missed this one.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: 3 Years in Review

Originally Posted by haroldo
Nice review...I don't believe I've had any major driveability issue on any of my cars in their first six or seven years (our first new car was an 86 Camry followed by 88 Jeep, 92 Voyager, 96 Avalon, 98 Honda CRV and 08 TCH). Not sure, but I think my wife's Voyager needed a warranty covered new transmission after 3 years?
Since you've been unfortunately blighted by mechanical problems within a short period of time more as a rule than an exception, may I ask if you are particularly hard on your cars? Three years is not an old car...what kind of issues have you been having?
In general I would agree, after purchasing my first new car I had the bad habit of buying a new car every 2-3 years, and I never had them in for any repairs until purchasing two 2007 RX350s (which were preceeded by 2000 Honda Accord V6, 2003 Nissan Murano, 2006 Chrysler Pacifica, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee). Between the two of them, I had them in once every other month. Definitely not what you think of for Toyota quality. They were some of the first RX350s off the line, but you would expect better from Toyota. Right off the block both had the check A/C light come on whenever it was hot and humid (exactly when you needed A/C). This was a known issue and they replaced a sensor. The Nav stopped working in one and needed updated with the latest software. The rubber inlay on the roof to cover up the welds shrank in the cold and came out while driving after flogging the side of the car at interstate speeds (quite a scare figuring out what was attacking my car). The rotors needed turned after 15,000 miles on one, and immediately got worse again, never figured out why. There were constant rattles in tonneau cover and both needed gaskets added, another known issue. The passenger door in one had a major rattle you could hear by just closing the door that would resonate at highway speeds, driving me absolutely crazy, which they claimed they could never hear. Ultimately, I realized that people will claim a car is great because they believe it to be great. Ask any Lexus owner or RX owner and they'll say it is the best, most trouble free car they've owned, but the reality is I had two terds that were worse than the Jeep and Pacifica that preceeded them that I had no issues with, and the issue had nothing to do with driving and everything to do with real quality, not perceived quality. Knock on wood, but no issues with my 2009 TCH after almost a year.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
Aux audio port TSB tell me more, I must have missed this one.
It is in the TSB thread. Here is a reference from that thread to the Canadian TSB. I belive the US TSB is au004-07. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...liary-port.pdf