Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   4 new struts (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/4-new-struts-18982/)

usajar 07-08-2008 04:13 PM

4 new struts

Well, my 2007 TCH was getting a little sloppy in the handling department, so I decided to bring the car into the dealership today. All 4 struts were leaking and need to be replaced. I now know why I purchased my extended warranty as I am at 37K. The dealer will replace under the extended warranty.

The roads here are pretty rough and I admit I take some country roads on occasion, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced similar problems?

jbollt 07-08-2008 04:34 PM

Re: 4 new struts

Originally Posted by usajar (Post 179860)
Well, my 2007 TCH was getting a little sloppy in the handling department, so I decided to bring the car into the dealership today. All 4 struts were leaking and need to be replaced. I now know why I purchased my extended warranty as I am at 37K. The dealer will replace under the extended warranty.

The roads here are pretty rough and I admit I take some country roads on occasion, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced similar problems?

No, not in particular, (although it has always seemd a little more softly suspended then I prefer) but it is worth me having a look underneath, as I am at 35,750 miles.....and do not have the extended warranty. Dave, thanks for the "heads up"!

FL07THC 08-22-2009 06:49 PM

Mine are really soft @60,000 miles.

Just checked... mine are not leaking

Big-Foot 08-24-2009 06:11 AM

My 2007 has *always* been just a little bit mushy even though I run ~38 PSI in the tires. Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.. I've not had it in to the dealer for these though. Maybe I should..
The drifting indicates to me that the steering has either a zero degree toe-in setting or it's toed out slightly..

coasterinsf 08-28-2009 05:26 PM

Face it - this TCH is way too soft from day one. I have looked at after market struts like Koni (I had them on two Accords) but nothing available that I can find. KYB makes a strut that they say is a little stiffer than original but they don't make their KYB AGX Adjustable Strut for the TCH. Too soft but otherwise a great car.

Droid13 08-28-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 209773)
Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.

Yea, I always noticed it takes more input corrections on the highway than my Sienna. Attention all your nasty "texters" out there, the TCH is NOT for you

rburt07 08-29-2009 04:40 AM

The struts on my '94 Corolla were good till 150,000 miles. I sold the car at 185,000 miles. I talked to a lady parked in a K-Mart parking lot. I asked how the car was doing and she said just fine. She only drives in the the city. This was 4 years after I sold it to her.

I would think the toyota struts on the TCH would last near the same. I do know they seem much softer compared to the 2003 Corolla I drove for a year. The TCH seems to have more of a family car ride to it. I had owned big, heavy GM cars in the past and guess i'm used to the soft ride.

Frodo 08-29-2009 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 209773)
My 2007 has *always* been just a little bit mushy even though I run ~38 PSI in the tires. Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.. I've not had it in to the dealer for these though. Maybe I should..
The drifting indicates to me that the steering has either a zero degree toe-in setting or it's toed out slightly..

And the lack of toe is a 'fuel economy' measure - makes the tires roll easier. Does not do great things for straight-ahead stability, as you stated.

Frodo 08-29-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by usajar (Post 179860)

The thing I noticed is that your profile is in a cold-weather area. Strut seals + cold weather + rough roads + speed = leakage. I suspect the leaks were 'encouraged' by viscous fluid from cold and rapid movement of strut from a rough road. For better longevity of the components, slow down, especially in real cold weather.

Big-Foot 08-30-2009 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 210055)
And the lack of toe is a 'fuel economy' measure - makes the tires roll easier. Does not do great things for straight-ahead stability, as you stated.

Agreed - and it's the only reason I haven't rectified it.... ;)