4 new struts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation 4 new struts

Well, my 2007 TCH was getting a little sloppy in the handling department, so I decided to bring the car into the dealership today. All 4 struts were leaking and need to be replaced. I now know why I purchased my extended warranty as I am at 37K. The dealer will replace under the extended warranty.

The roads here are pretty rough and I admit I take some country roads on occasion, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced similar problems?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4 new struts

Originally Posted by usajar
Well, my 2007 TCH was getting a little sloppy in the handling department, so I decided to bring the car into the dealership today. All 4 struts were leaking and need to be replaced. I now know why I purchased my extended warranty as I am at 37K. The dealer will replace under the extended warranty.

The roads here are pretty rough and I admit I take some country roads on occasion, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced similar problems?
No, not in particular, (although it has always seemd a little more softly suspended then I prefer) but it is worth me having a look underneath, as I am at 35,750 miles.....and do not have the extended warranty. Dave, thanks for the "heads up"!

Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine are really soft @60,000 miles.

Just checked... mine are not leaking

Last edited by FL07THC; 08-22-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

My 2007 has *always* been just a little bit mushy even though I run ~38 PSI in the tires. Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.. I've not had it in to the dealer for these though. Maybe I should..
The drifting indicates to me that the steering has either a zero degree toe-in setting or it's toed out slightly..

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Face it - this TCH is way too soft from day one. I have looked at after market struts like Koni (I had them on two Accords) but nothing available that I can find. KYB makes a strut that they say is a little stiffer than original but they don't make their KYB AGX Adjustable Strut for the TCH. Too soft but otherwise a great car.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.
Yea, I always noticed it takes more input corrections on the highway than my Sienna. Attention all your nasty "texters" out there, the TCH is NOT for you

Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The struts on my '94 Corolla were good till 150,000 miles. I sold the car at 185,000 miles. I talked to a lady parked in a K-Mart parking lot. I asked how the car was doing and she said just fine. She only drives in the the city. This was 4 years after I sold it to her.

I would think the toyota struts on the TCH would last near the same. I do know they seem much softer compared to the 2003 Corolla I drove for a year. The TCH seems to have more of a family car ride to it. I had owned big, heavy GM cars in the past and guess i'm used to the soft ride.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-29-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
My 2007 has *always* been just a little bit mushy even though I run ~38 PSI in the tires. Plus it does have a tendancy to drift easily on the highway with even the slightest crosswind.. I've not had it in to the dealer for these though. Maybe I should..
The drifting indicates to me that the steering has either a zero degree toe-in setting or it's toed out slightly..
And the lack of toe is a 'fuel economy' measure - makes the tires roll easier. Does not do great things for straight-ahead stability, as you stated.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by usajar

The thing I noticed is that your profile is in a cold-weather area. Strut seals + cold weather + rough roads + speed = leakage. I suspect the leaks were 'encouraged' by viscous fluid from cold and rapid movement of strut from a rough road. For better longevity of the components, slow down, especially in real cold weather.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by Frodo
And the lack of toe is a 'fuel economy' measure - makes the tires roll easier. Does not do great things for straight-ahead stability, as you stated.
Agreed - and it's the only reason I haven't rectified it....