5,000 mile maintenance on TCH

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question 5,000 mile maintenance on TCH

I'm getting close to the time when I hit 5,000 miles. I do not have prepaid maintenance.

It appears to me that Toyota changes the oil filter and oil and rotates the tires and checks fluids which I can check myself and then charges about $60. Am I missing something?

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't get my oil and filter changed elsewhere for $30. I have used a garage before that will let me bring my own filter and oil and charges me $20 for labor.

Are the checks Toyota makes critical to the warantee?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 5,000 mile maintenance on TCH

I got my 5000 mile service done couple of days ago.
If you have a favourate garage, definately use them with your own oil. I have pre-paid maintenance so I have to use the dealer. But other than that I don't see much differenfe. At least you know for sure what kind of oil goes in your car. I just have to take my dealer's words when he says after checking around that yes, they used 5W20. They changed oil, filter, rotated tires, checked different fluids and lubricated some parts... that's it and on regular price over $60 ripp-off over inflated dealer price.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Enthusiast

I prefer to take my Prius to a trained Toyota technician for regular maintenance. Somehow I don't believe the average shop down the street knows how to properly service a hybrid.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Mine is always going to Toyota. My Highlander goes where ever.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

If any thing remotely to do with the car service in any way, I agree, it must go to the dealer but for regular oil change???? I don't see how much training on hybrid engines do you need if you give them the oil and ask them to use that while changing it and rotate the tires...

Old 12-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can change your oil yourself or have it done elsewhere without affecting your warrenty. Just be sure to keep reciepts and keep a record of the mileage and dates of each change so your warrenty requirements are documented.

My TCH came with 4 free oil changes so I'll be going to the dealer for a while. They have a 30 minute oil change bay, if it's not done in 30 minutes, the next oil change is free. Nice.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My Toyota dealer is 2 block from work and the only charge me 14 dollars if I bring in my own oil. They also look over a car that they are used to. I would rather them do it than me for 14 dollars. It is not worth going through all the crap with changing your own oil for just saving a few buck. I did it while I was young, but now I make much more money.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I make much more money myself too, and it is not for the dollar amount.... but I will never trust anyone to change the engine oil in my vehicles, especially toyota dealerships. It is matter of getting it done right or having to worry "was my oil change done correctly, hmmm, did they put the correct oil grade or amount, did they use the correct torque setting to tighten the oil drain plug????" nooo way, I also perform tire rotation and never had an issue for over 15 years now and everything gets done with the correct torque setting.

Last time I had my TCH in to toyota dealership to recode the valve transmitter code into the ECU it took them two times to get it right and the end result was a dent around 4 inches wide in the passenger door and told them what happpened and kept apologizing and promised me they will fix it and told them I will think about it and although I made an appt I cancelled it for obvious reason(s). My point is, if you know you can fix it yourself right and you are willing, then do it.

Last edited by agnosto; 12-15-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
I'm getting close to the time when I hit 5,000 miles. I do not have prepaid maintenance.

It appears to me that Toyota changes the oil filter and oil and rotates the tires and checks fluids which I can check myself and then charges about $60. Am I missing something?

Is there any good reason why I shouldn't get my oil and filter changed elsewhere for $30. I have used a garage before that will let me bring my own filter and oil and charges me $20 for labor.

Are the checks Toyota makes critical to the warantee?
Any decent garage will also check the fluid levels. Heck, even Jiffy-Lube does. You are NOT required to have maintenance done by a dealer. Just keep the receipts to CYA in case of a mechanical failure.
That aside. I just dumped $30K on my beast. I don't plan on taking the cheap route on maintenance. But I have a dealership with a Class-A maintenance department. Even the service bay area is air-conditioned. Makes for happy mechanics.
J

Last edited by schmidtj; 12-16-2006 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Olde Farte

I've changed my own oil and done all the other scheduled maintenance on all my vehicles my entire life. Maybe when I'm 70 or so and no longer want to crawl under my vehicles, I will start taking them someplace for these items............ At least I know who tightened the drain bolt, the oil filter and all the lug nuts LAST time!

Same thing is true for my motorcycles - I always know who tightened the axle nut, the pinch bolts and all the caliper bolts at the last tire change.

YMMV