Ac freon / refrigerant for toyota camry hybrid tch 2008 - USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Ac freon / refrigerant for toyota camry hybrid tch 2008 - USA

Hi!

First post here! Hoping I would get some help.

My car blows hot air and I am looking for some help to fix it. (The car was bought used 2 months ago and I think it has been the same since I bought it)

When attached with a gauge, the psi is below 10 at the LOW vent of ac system.

I tried to do some research and found the car hood says the electric compressor takes HFC149a and ND-11 or equivalent oil.

Has anyone got it recharged by Toyota dealership? What prices can I expect?

Had anyone recharged the AC for TCH 2008 at home?

How do I check the oil level and freon level in the system?

Do I have to completely flush to remove air/moisture/freon/oil etc before refilling?

Can I just top off with freon with no additives/sealants/oil etc?

Any help would be much appreciated. I might ask more questions if I get a response.

On a side note I took a bold move and installed a 150$ AGM battery on my car instead of the $300-$400 Panasonic battery.

Thank you!
Stoned

Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ac freon / refrigerant for toyota camry hybrid tch 2008 - USA

Originally Posted by stonedat420
Hi!

First post here! Hoping I would get some help.

My car blows hot air and I am looking for some help to fix it. (The car was bought used 2 months ago and I think it has been the same since I bought it)

1) When attached with a gauge, the psi is below 10 at the LOW vent of ac system.

2) I tried to do some research and found the car hood says the electric compressor takes HFC149a and ND-11 or equivalent oil.

3) Has anyone got it recharged by Toyota dealership? What prices can I expect?

4) Had anyone recharged the AC for TCH 2008 at home?

5) How do I check the oil level and freon level in the system?

6) Do I have to completely flush to remove air/moisture/freon/oil etc before refilling?

7) Can I just top off with freon with no additives/sealants/oil etc?

8) Any help would be much appreciated. I might ask more questions if I get a response.

9) On a side note I took a bold move and installed a 150$ AGM battery on my car instead of the $300-$400 Panasonic battery.

Thank you!
Stoned
1) sounds low.

2) Not sure about that. According to the Toyota service manual for the 2008 TCH, it uses R134a.

3) No. Don't know. Should be as easy as a phone call.

4) No, but I've done dozens of Prii.

5) You don't check oil level. You assume it's good, and you check freon level via pressure as you have done.

6) No.

7) Yes. That's what I do in 4). The service manual suggests the presence of a site glass on the high side. You slowly add refrigerant until the bubbles disappear. Then you can add 50-100g more before it's full. I just stop right after the bubbles are gone. Once you get engagement of the compressor and some cooling, best to let the system run for 5 minutes on full blast before you finalize the input. Also best to do at 85-95°F ambient temp.

8) no more questions. I won't allow it.

9) Might be fine. Might be a mistake. You'll know if you run out of warranty before the battery fails. The original toyota batteries last an absurdly long time. The aftermarket replacements usually don't last nearly as long.

Good luck.

Steve

Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Ac freon / refrigerant for toyota camry hybrid tch 2008 - USA

My camry hybrid freon leaks,Is there a way to find out where the leak is on this camry hybrid?

Old 08-30-2019, 09:02 PM
Enthusiast
Red face Re: Ac freon / refrigerant for toyota camry hybrid tch 2008 - USA

Bump? Can anyone suggest mean how to identify the leaks?
Can I use the UV dye or is that not recommended on Hybrid Car AC compressors?

Thanks