AC Problems so soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy AC Problems so soon?

I've only had my TCH for about 10 days. Already I have a problem. Seems that the air from the air conditioner is not cooling any more.

Two days a go, I noticed this for the first time when starting the car and the air stayed warm much longer than usual. I stopped the car and toggled the power. The AC came on fine after that. My first inclination was that this was a fluke and I should worry about it.

Then today it happened again. Only now I can not get it to cool regardless of what I try. I've toggled the ECO setting and tried various combinations of manual and auto settings. No more cool air.

I have an appointment with the service department Monday. Sigh. I only have 520 miles on the car.

Anyone else have this problem or have any thoughts of something I might have done to initiate this condition?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: AC Problems so soon?

Check your freon level. My Prius (and some others) developed a leak early in its life. Toyota wouldn't cover it under the warranty as they said it was due to a rock hitting the condenser.

JeffD

Old 04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast

UPDATE: Took my TCH to the dealer today. Turns out it has a bad AC compressor. Sadly, my dealer says that there isn't a replacement part anywhere in the country. So, I'm out my car for at least two weeks.

As a consolation, I get a Fort Taurus rental.... sigh....

Buyers remorse is running high at the moment. I really want to like this car, but it needs to work.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your car. At least they're fixing the problem. Nobody's perfect, not even Toyota, right? I've had my TCH for 3 weeks now. Love it. I'm sure you will start to like yours again.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would refuse to drive the Taurus. I always ask the rental companies for Jap cars.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: AC Problems so soon?

BIG UPDATE : I have had numerous phone conversations with various Toyota folks over the course of this week. I have been impressed with the empathy and support I have received from my local dealer on this. I have not had to raise my voice once; not even close. They directed me on how to get in touch with national customer service people to voice my concern. Amazingly (?), they have found another AC compressor and it will be here on Monday (1 week less than the shortest estimate). As compensation for my time without the car, they are re-imbursing my first car payment!

and .... my rental was a brand new (< 300 miles) 2007 RAV 4.

Lesson learned? Don't settle if you are un-happy. Let somebody know.

Now, if the car can hold-up for a while my faith may slowly be restored.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rangerhomer
and .... my rental was a brand new (< 300 miles) 2007 RAV 4.
Gee, I hope my AC breaks too!