Advantages of a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Enthusiast
Default Advantages of a spoiler

Hello all,

I heard that a spoiler can make a car even more fuel economical. Does anyone here have a TCH with a spoiler and noticed any added benefits? I'm wondering if it's worth getting the spoiler for that purpose.

Old 06-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Advantages of a spoiler

As far as I know the primary purpose for a spoiler is to add downforce for better traction, not to improve aerodynamics. I understand that passenger cars do not normally travel fast enough givin the average spoiler's size to generate any noticable downforce so spoilers are a cosmetic only item. YMMV.

There is an aerodynamic principle that allows an aerofoil have its trailing edge truncated or cut down without much negitive effect. The shape of the CRX, Prius and Insight are all based on this principle. Adding a spoiler is just going to increase drag and lower mileage IMO.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 AM
WVGasGuy

I don't think it will have a significant impact negative or positive and it's a matter of personal choice in style. I don't think the TCH has a top speed high enough to make use of a rear spoiler.

However I do like the styling of the SE ground effects. That may help or hurt the airflow under and around the vehicle, I don't know. I do think though that if the parts become available I would consider adding these on to my TCH

Old 06-17-2006, 09:14 AM
mak
Banned

Originally Posted by lakedude
As far as I know the primary purpose for a spoiler is to add downforce for better traction, not to improve aerodynamics. I understand that passenger cars do not normally travel fast enough givin the average spoiler's size to generate any noticable downforce so spoilers are a cosmetic only item. YMMV.

There is an aerodynamic principle that allows an aerofoil have its trailing edge truncated or cut down without much negitive effect. The shape of the CRX, Prius and Insight are all based on this principle. Adding a spoiler is just going to increase drag and lower mileage IMO.
Ditto...Unless you have a car like the Evo or Sti, those are the cars that would benefit from having those big spoilers on them.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

So it's probably not worth it to get the spoiler as an option. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Old 06-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by hybridchat
So it's probably not worth it to get the spoiler as an option. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
You could get one if you think they look cool but a spoiler will not help FE.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree - the lip spoiler offered for the TCH is not going to help with FE.

However, I a pretty sure I read an article a month or two back about a guy who put a HUGE wing spoiler on his VW Bug (TDI I think), in a successful attempt to increase FE.