After market stereo, amp, and sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket stereo, amp, and sub

Hello everyone,

I was originally going to buy a Toyota Tacoma but have been swayed to the TCH. I have not yet purchased it because I have a few outstanding questions.

At present I am going to buy the highest options package and a few of the other niceties. However, what I really want to know is if I can take my currently owned and expensive head unit, amp and sub and install them in my TCH.

If so, how would the new system (DVD nav by Alpine with motorized screen) hook into the display that comes standard in the TCH? Do you lose the energy and consumption screens?

I mind losing the steering wheel mounted audio controls and blue tooth handsfree.

If there is anyone out here who has done a radio swap, I'd like to hear about how it went and what you did. Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks guys and gals!
Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-15-2007 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Fix title.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Default Re: After market stereo, amp, and sub

I suggest taking a CD (it can be a music or MP3 CD) to a dealer and listen to the JBL sound system on the TCH. The bass response is flat out amazing. I never expected a factory setup to have such deep bass. I've played several THX demonstration tracks on mine and am amazed.

While I could be wrong, I don't think you will miss the sound of your Alpine setup.

I have not heard of anyone swaping out the stock stereo on the TCH. Sorry.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion nash. I'd hate to dump a perfectly good system that gives me GPS, DVD audio MP3/WMA, DVD video and outstanding sound quality. You are right, the JBL setup will be solid and a good performer.

I guess I'll have to look around some more.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 AM
Enthusiast

If your are going to try and keep your Alpine system then I don't see a reason to pay the extra money for the navigation option. You will lose the energy screen but you would lose it anyway when you take out the stock navigation/stereo system. Mounting your Alpine head unit is also going to be a trick. Maybe Crutchfield has an custom "fit kit" but without it, I don't see it being an easy job.

I would definetly go take a listen to the stock system. I have been pleasantly surprised. I have also seen a DVD player+screen that fits into the center console. Maybe you can ebay your Alpine and buy that instead.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mike,

I also have been surprised at the overall quality of the sound for a stock automobile. Next summer, I might have a look at going with higher-end speakers, but the power and spectrum adjustments have not disappointed me at all.

For me it comes down to hours (or $) of effort vs. gain in sound quality. I cannot see replacing anything in the system (other than the speakers themselves) and getting a significant gain. At least, not for less than a couple grand and many, many hours of work.

I am sure you know this already, but if you decide to make changes, start with the speakers and work your way backward. It doesn't matter what the head unit will do if the speakers and amp won't reproduce it.

Good Luck!

Larry

Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Electricity Guzzler

just wanted to mention.

I feel that the back deck behind the rear passengers isn't stiff enough, properly supported, too much vibe comes through if you have deep bass at the higher volumes, that's in part due to the vent that goes up through the center for allowing the traction battery to cool. they could have done a better job there.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the input. I have seen custom mounting kits out for the TCH already. If I don't get the NAV, does anyone know if I will be lacking any needed cables to mount the Alpine with GPS?

I will certainly start with replacing the stock speakers and run all new 14 or 12 gauge speaker wire. I'll also take a look at the back deck and try to strengthen it a little if it starts to vibe, thanks for the tip.

I truly wont know until I purchase the car I guess. But if I can determine I don't need the NAV in order to throw in an aftermarket NAV I can save some money there....(honestly I don't really need the NAV even though it does have benefits).

Thanks again for all the info guys!
Mike

Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 AM

A quick update. After having the car I do agree the stock audio is decent. And I also agree with some other posts in other threads that the tonal settings are a real pain and the bass is way to heavy at the 100hz mark. When I had a sub in my truck I didn't let it get anything higher than 50hz.

So far I am having trouble finding speakers that fit all the locations and I am quite annoyed by the use of the AVC-LAN and the amp controlling the volume. I haven't found another amp that uses AVC to replace the stock JBL one with and if I wish to put a better amp in I'll have to get another HU. At least that is my current understanding.

If anyone has looked into higher end speakers and know of ones that fit, I'm up for suggestions. At the very least I will replace the ones in the doors.

My other complaint besides the tone setting being tough to get right is the fact that most of the sound feels like it comes from the dash speakers and I don't feel like I get a nice balance (both left-right and front-rear). If I put it +1 to the rear the voice in the audio becomes hard to hear sometimes. I just went from a very good system to a good system and I can tell. I guess that's my problem :-D !

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warehouse
If your are going to try and keep your Alpine system then I don't see a reason to pay the extra money for the navigation option. You will lose the energy screen but you would lose it anyway when you take out the stock navigation/stereo system. Mounting your Alpine head unit is also going to be a trick. Maybe Crutchfield has an custom "fit kit" but without it, I don't see it being an easy job.

Maybe things are different with the Camry, but when I put an aftermarket deck in my Corolla, they got me a very nice adapter rack (the factory deck had an odd, contoured shape) for $20 which added a nice little cubby hole where I kept a couple of CDs. They must make a similar thing for the Camry.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by JTode
Maybe things are different with the Camry, but when I put an aftermarket deck in my Corolla, they got me a very nice adapter rack (the factory deck had an odd, contoured shape) for $20 which added a nice little cubby hole where I kept a couple of CDs. They must make a similar thing for the Camry.
Yeah, I saw one awhile back and I am sure more will pop up as time goes by. I would suspect the interior will be close to the same for the next few years. The main pain point will be the AMP and head unit connection. The speakers and speaker wire are the first that should be replaced.

Quick Reply: After market stereo, amp, and sub

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands