Aftermarket GPS problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS problems

I'm not an expert, but have you tried using your GPS outside your car? Could it be the receiver in the GPS?

Also, again, I'm not an expert, but could your location in the US (or Canada) give you fewer satellites for the GPS to triangulate its position, thus causing it to take longer to pinpoint your location?

And last, where do you have your GPS positioned in your car? On the dash? Suctioned to the windshield? Near the gearshift?

Garmins are the best, I've had my Nuvi 660 for over a year now, still works perfectly! I only wish we got free map updates! Oh, and I wish mine had the speed limit. Can't have everything! (I've also heard the OEM Nav system has a lot of kinks and is just an added cost, any thoughts?)

Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default OF: Aftermarket GPS problems

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
I only wish we got free map updates!
How much are map updates? The Toyota map updates are ~$250.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Garmin map updates are about $80, right now (they've been out for a few months now) some places are selling them for $60.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Garmi...oductDetail.do

Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the Garmin 880 and an 07 TCH and have never had any problems finding satellites. I usually have 9-10 satellites and a 13-15ft precision listing.

I wonder if it makes any difference that I have a moonroof.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
Garmin map updates are about $80, right now (they've been out for a few months now) some places are selling them for $60.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Garmi...oductDetail.do
I think I should get an international Garmin and stop using the built in nav. Cheaper map updates.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by john312
I wonder if it makes any difference that I have a moonroof.
I don't have a moonroof and have no problems with my Garmin 660.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hmmmmm.....

The Toyota OEM GPS has the antenna inside the car (under the dash) and it seems to work?

Dang

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

I have a Magellan 2200T that works fine in the 2007 TCH. It's usually on the dash, but occasionally have it sitting in the little bin behind the gearshift; no issues in either location.

Have you tried the GPS units in other cars (with the GPS placed in similar locations, e.g., on the dash or on the console or wherever)? You certainly are unlikely to have 3 defective units, but perhaps the newer one has some problems? Also, have you tried resetting or reinitializing the GPS units? A trick that sometimes works is to reset the GPS and then let it sit for 20 minutes or so in a place with an unobstructed view of the sky. This allows the GPS to update all almanac information from the satellites...at least that's what I'm told and it worked for me when my GPS was getting flaky.

It is true that most cars have metallic parts that can interfere with GPS satellite reception. These parts are called "roofs" and "bodies"....

Old 01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks - All three GPS units work in other cars and even when you hold them outside the window of the 09 TCH. For now I am using a Garmin external magnetic mount antenna so it works well but there are wires galore. My daughter has an o7 TCH by the way and the Garmins work in her car so something has changed.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

hm.. Interesting. I'm driving an 09 TCH and had a Mio Moov 310 gps unit. I mounted to my windshield and it worked very well. If the unit was 'cold' it would take longer though.. Guess I'll have to see how my new Tom Tom will do in the car.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands