Any northern TCH owners getting 40+mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Any northern TCH owners getting 40+mpg?

Just curious if anyone in the colder, northern USA or Canada is getting 40+mpg with their TCH?
I live in Rhode Island and was wondering what I could possibly expect for mileage.

Thanks!
Love the information everyone here has provided!!!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any northern TCH owners getting 40+mpg?

I can get close in the late spring/early summer. Otherwise my average is about 35-37.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

I live in upstate NY and was getting from 38-40 mpg until the temperature dropped below 40. Now I get between 35-37 mpg depending on how long the car is running while defrosting/scraping.

I just came back from Florida and averaged over 40 mpg the entire trip. On one 300 mile leg heading North from NC, I averaged 45 mpg(60 degree weather).

Old 01-12-2008, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by aka Bitter
On one 300 mile leg heading North from NC, I averaged 45 mpg(60 degree weather).
I know that stretch

Old 01-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm in NJ and I get between 38-40 mpg daily in the cold weather and over 40mpg in the summer.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not in the cold North but did a 200 mile trip in the low 30's and got 41 mpg, just slightly less what I can do in the summer. The caveat is that I can only do well with long trips. Around town commutes take a big hit.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiedoziedike
I'm in NJ and I get between 38-40 mpg daily in the cold weather and over 40mpg in the summer.
I am in So Cal and have never gotten above 35MPG. I have a theory about those who claim to get 40mpg... either they drive all the time in the EV mode or they are constantly driving downhill and just coasting I mean, how is it those in cold NJ can get 38-40mpg in the winter, and some of us in warmer So Cal are barely breaking 35mpg? I do drive as carefully as I could, but never been lucky to break 40mpg or even close to it... What am I doing wrong?

Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM

I was on I-90 today (western Mass).
The road was completely empty and there was a Ford Escape (hybrid) trailing a truck (the only vehicles on the road) by 30-40 feet. I felt bad for the truck drive as I imagine it is very stressful to have a tailgaiter. I also felt bad for the Ford driver's family as this activity (drafting) might save them a few bucks worth of gas...at the risk of injury due to this incredible foolish driving style.
I've read about drafting, but until I saw it, I didn't believe people actually did it.
I'll keep my 33 MPG average, thank you.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I was on I-90 today (western Mass).
The road was completely empty and there was a Ford Escape (hybrid) trailing a truck (the only vehicles on the road) by 30-40 feet. I felt bad for the truck drive as I imagine it is very stressful to have a tailgaiter. I also felt bad for the Ford driver's family as this activity (drafting) might save them a few bucks worth of gas...at the risk of injury due to this incredible foolish driving style.
I've read about drafting, but until I saw it, I didn't believe people actually did it.
I'll keep my 33 MPG average, thank you.
The boxier style of the FEH does lend well to drafting. But 30-40 feet at 60 mph is WAY too close. (My speedometer could stop at 60). I've only had our 08 FEH for a few months, and only out on the road one 500+ mile trip with this vehicle. Late at night, I did draft behind an 18 wheeler for a few miles to see if what I had read is true.

My SGII instantaneous MPG reading showed incredible increase. I had read how effective it is, but now I can testify that drafting does make and incredible difference on the FEH/MMH.

Staying back a reasonable distance will have a lesser effect, be much less stressful, and not scare off the commercial truck driver. You're right. Staying a safer distance is better than rear ending a big trailer.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rocket08
I am in So Cal and have never gotten above 35MPG. I have a theory about those who claim to get 40mpg... either they drive all the time in the EV mode or they are constantly driving downhill and just coasting I mean, how is it those in cold NJ can get 38-40mpg in the winter, and some of us in warmer So Cal are barely breaking 35mpg? I do drive as carefully as I could, but never been lucky to break 40mpg or even close to it... What am I doing wrong?
Haroldo and Rocket08,

There are many factors that affect FE. I got my TCH Sep13, 2006 and have racked up over 40k miles since then. This is because my current daily commute is 42miles one-way.

I DO NOT TAILGATE or DRAFT (whatever you want to call that crap). As a matter of fact, I avoid trucks like a plague (I don't want any stone chips on my TCH).
I DO NOT DRIVE LIKE GRANDMA (50 mph on a highway with 65mph limits).

I can tell you this though;
I do drive between 65mph and 80mph using my own technique (I have not seen it on this site yet). It takes time to learn it, but if you are PATIENT and CAREFUL enough you can try it. It varies on depending on where I'm driving City or highway.

Here you go (City):
During cold weather, I set my AC between 67 and 70 (At 67, the engine shuts off almost immediately at all lights). This keeps me warm enough without freezing to death like some people advocate here.
I speed up to 40-45mph as quickly as possible (once again, use your brains here don't go smashing into another car just to save gas). Then, I gradually let go of the pedal as I frequently (notice the word FREQUENT and not CONSTANT) watch the instant mpg needle drop to between 40-60mpg (the sweet spot is usually around 45-50mpg imho). Continue driving as you watch at least 3 lights ahead to determine traffic flow. If traffic starts to come to a halt, let go of the accelerator long before you reach the light so you can "COAST" down to the light (approx. 200ft or more if possible). I rarely use my breaks because the lights tend to turn green by the time I get there using very little gas.

HIGHWAY:
This is not for you if you are a nervous wreck!
I turn on the defroster. Set the temp to anywhere between 70 and 75 (Your desired temp may vary) and leave it on for the first 2 minutes. I turn it off making sure that the yellow light behind the defroster button stays lit (The defroster is off i.e. no visible temp in the center console, but the cabin stays heated)
I accelerate quickly to 45mph with the instant mpg needle at around 20mpg (Please take a quick glance and keep your eyes on the road!). After that, I let go of the accelerator until the instant mpg needle is at 30mpg until I reach about 75mph.
At this point, I let go of the accelerator till the instant mpg needle reaches 40-43mpg(I prefer 40mpg) and focus on holding it there regardless of slopes on the road (Once again, use your brains!). If the roads go downhill, my speed increases to as much as 85mph and by the time I get back uphill, it is back to around 75mph. Sometimes there might be a very gentle but steady uphill that reduces my speed to around 70mph, at this point I add some extra power and make sure the instant mpg needle does not go beyond 30mpg as I slowly get back up to speed.
When approaching an exit (approx. 500ft away) I coast all the way till my speed drops to 40mph(engine shuts off) and then I use EV mode till I get to the toll (Yeah we have tolls on NJ highways).

Sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.
For more explanations, send me a PM. I don't like submitting lengthy posts

Make sure you keep your eyes on the road (I'm young and I have pretty good reflexes, so if you are much older this may not be for you).

Quick Reply: Any northern TCH owners getting 40+mpg?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands