Any scrapes or dings yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Any scrapes or dings yet?

I was pulling out of a steep driveway of a parking structure and scraped the underside of the front spoiler/airdam of my 4 day old TCH . Believe it or not, that area is painted unlike my last car (BMW). I was going slowly and thought I would be fine. Oh well, I guess the first injury had to come at some point.
Anyone else have any wounds to report?

Old 07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Convert
Default Re: Any scrapes or dings yet?

I found a ding above the rear wheel well a few weeks in. Someone must not have been careful in opening their door. Then again, unlike my other friends, I'm not **** about parking at the far end of a lot to avoid adjacent cars. *sigh*

Old 07-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

On my first week I decided to clean out the garage in order to protect my TCH.

I made enough room and pulled her in. Ah! She's protected!

A few minutes later, a four foot high 2x6 piece of wood I had leaning against the wall fell over and dented the front fender.

I couldn't deal with it, so I had Dent Wizard come to the house and remove the dent for $75. It's as good as new.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast

Unfrotunately I ran over what I thought was one of those orange traffic cones and it turned out to be a wooden sign at the zoo (It's why I kept going and didn't get out. ANyhow it scratched the plastic strip that runs underneath the doors on the passenger side. You have to look pretty hard for it.

Just carelessness on my part. I still get a little ill thinking about it.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast

I've never hit a tire tred from a blown-out tire before I got my TCH. The first week I hit two! The first one didnt seem to do anything but the second one got the front a little dirty, popped out one of those plastic inserts where the fog-lights would be, chipped a little bit of paint by the insert, and scratched up the paint on the underside (not noticable). I got a replacement insert ($14) and touch-up paint ($12) from the dealer. Overall a cheap fix, luckily!

Sorry to hear about everyone else's incidents, but I'm kind of relieved that I'm not the only one that has injured her new TCH! Misery loves company, right?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No one's reported windshield rock strike damage yet, so I thought I'd throw this in --

Watch your following distances, especially around gravel & cement trucks and pickups carrying loads. I'm not in a TCH, but I got a small windshield crack on my driver's side in my Ford Escape Hybrid, just 4 days after taking ownership. Insurance company repaired, not replaced, the windshield so it was free but now I have this annoying double spot in my view and there are days I think the crack is growing again (it will probably grow larger, eventually, resulting in needing a new windshield.)

I drove 14 years in a sedan and never got a noticable windshield crack, so needless to say it was a sick feeling when I realized the *whack* sound was accompanied by a crack in my windshield (includes photos pre-repair; don't have any post-repair but it looks like two large waterspots with some minimal light refraction also.)

I was following several car lengths' behind a Ford Ranger type small pickup with an overloaded bed when the rock or debris kicked up into my windshield. I was more than a little surprised, since there were no other vehicles on the roadway at the time and certainly no gravel haulers or large semi's of any type. Such is life. The irony is I was taking the highway back home after just having visited the Ford dealership to have some hairline scratches removed that we hadn't noticed during purchase and initial drive-off. A windshield crack in a 4-day-old vehicle doesn't seem a fair trade for getting a few hairline scratches addressed. hehe I figured it was a lesson in vanity that I should take to heart. "It's a vehicle, it's gonna get some 'character' soon enough."

Last edited by GeekGal; 07-06-2006 at 06:12 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

GeekGal,

Very frustrating. I was behind a dump truck in my TCH and noticed painted on the back of a truck a sign that said "not responsible for windshield damage". I think it's totally assinine that someone could load one of those, take no precautions to make sure stuff doesn't fly out and think they're not liable because of a sign on the back.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orcrone
GeekGal,

Very frustrating. I was behind a dump truck in my TCH and noticed painted on the back of a truck a sign that said "not responsible for windshield damage". I think it's totally assinine that someone could load one of those, take no precautions to make sure stuff doesn't fly out and think they're not liable because of a sign on the back.
I suspect it depends on what state you live in, but even with such nonsence scrawled across the back of a truck, many states will, of course, hold a company liable if something comes loose from their vehicle. That being said, I seem to be far more conservative driving my TCH for both FE and wind shield dings then my previous car.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

All I've got is some bird poop at this point (knocks on wood)...but I know that the first ding is inevitable. I am somewhat **** about that kind of thing, so I've been parking out away from cars, etc. (yep, I'm that guy).