Autolocking doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Autolocking doors

My son missed the school bus this morning, so I drove him there. When he tried to get out of the car at his school, the doors were locked (transmission still in "drive"). I never noticed before that they do that above a certain speed (since the car is always in "park" when I get out).

Does anyone know how to cancel the autolocking feature?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Autolocking doors

Be a lot better to put it in Park, dissabling them is asking for trouble (hi-Jack at stop lite) as this a very popular car amongst the non desirables lol.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Kevin, i believe there are instructions on how to change this in the owners manual , I know I did on mine...sorry don't have the manual handy to give you the instructions or the page number. You couldl ook on ToyotaIGuide.com for the instructions, the manual is there also.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Jeff,

We were away this weekend and I didn't get a chance to look it up, but I will this evening.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Be a lot better to put it in Park, dissabling them is asking for trouble (hi-Jack at stop lite) as this a very popular car amongst the non desirables lol.
I'd agree that this is one safety feature you might not want to disable. But, you don't even need to put it in Park. Just use the door unlock buttons when stopped to let someone make a quick exit.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Was your son in the back seat or front seat? That could also be the difference, because I'm pretty sure that my husband has gotten out of the front passenger seat while the car was running and not in park...

Old 10-09-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by belbe
Was your son in the back seat or front seat? That could also be the difference, because I'm pretty sure that my husband has gotten out of the front passenger seat while the car was running and not in park...
In my car all doors stay locked (front and back) until placing the car in park or unlocking them manually.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:50 AM

The state of the automatic locking or unlocking of the doors is definately a personal choice. I am glad that Toyota has given us the ability to make and impliment those personal choices. The way I see it, there is no right or wrong way, just personal preference.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

My son was in the front seat and I think all doors (on mine) lock when the car is put in "Drive"--I never paid attention to it before.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

You do realize the TCH is going to YELL at you for opening a door when NOT in Park. Audible alarm, warning on the MFD. Regardless of how you have the locking set (>16 mph versus not in park). Just put the **** thing in Park.

Quick Reply: Autolocking doors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands