B gear? Do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default B gear? Do you use it?

Do you use the B gear? I just find it odd to release the gas and shift it to B to allow it to 'break'. Am I missing something here?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: B gear? Do you use it?

I use it on downhills.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: B gear? Do you use it?

I live in WV and with all the hills that we have I've yet to find one that I can use the B mode on. It over does it on the grades we have. You either have to shift out of B mode or accellerate in just a few seconds.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:40 PM

On long down hill grades I use B mode and set the cruise control. Just remember to shift back to D at the bottom of the grade. Of course the ICE noise from the high rpms will remind you after a short time, should you forget.

I find if I just coast in B, I loose too much speed on all but the steepest grades. I can use the gas pedal to moderate the effect of B, but prefer to set the cruise if traffic is light.

Sometimes in rush hour traffic, I also use B mode while the car is coasting down grades in EV mode (speeds < 18 mph or the ICE starts) and can avoid riding the brakes. I think it is safer as folks behind me see my brake lights when I do have to slow down, instead of seeing them all the way down the grade.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
On long down hill grades I use B mode and set the cruise control. Just remember to shift back to D at the bottom of the grade. Of course the ICE noise from the high rpms will remind you after a short time, should you forget.

I find if I just coast in B, I loose too much speed on all but the steepest grades. I can use the gas pedal to moderate the effect of B, but prefer to set the cruise if traffic is light.
Uh, Nash,

I believe you may have erred about using "B mode" AND cruise control. Unfortunately, in the TCH, using B mode disables cruise control. (At least on my Japan-built TCH.)

Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 AM
Enthusiast

I occasionally use the "B" gear, as part of my daily commute takes me over the Blue Ridge Mountains. Usually, though, I just lightly press the regular brake, calling the trip down the mountain "Regeneration Run." : )

Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Uh, Nash,

I believe you may have erred about using "B mode" AND cruise control. Unfortunately, in the TCH, using B mode disables cruise control. (At least on my Japan-built TCH.)
Ops! You are right! I forgot it does that. I'm not sure if I'm remembering how the FEH works, or just flat out got it wrong.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have never used mine. I live in a pretty flat area though.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

In the 3 months I have owned my TCH, I have only used the "B" mode once, on a downhill. Glad to have it.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

I've used it a couple of times, but I just prefer to coast down the hills and hope I don't get a ticket! I have a few great hills that make my MPG skyrocket when I coast, too bad I have to drive back home and ruin it all.

Mark

Last edited by marklw47; 04-06-2007 at 09:53 AM. Reason: upgrade my English

Quick Reply: B gear? Do you use it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands