Best Place For XM Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Place For XM Antenna

I figured I'd mention that I replaced my Roady XT with the Terk XMDTL100/XM Direct setup directly to my NAV system last week. So far I'm very pleased. A few different threads in this forum proved extremely useful (see the ones with pictures on installing XM and eliminating squeaks).

I stuck the antenna to the rear passenger side panel cover for the baby seat hook using self-sticking velcro. Then I tucked the antenna wire between the carpet and the door sills and behind the carpet in the passenger footwell. Sometimes I get dropouts when passing below overpasses but I like having the antenna inside so it doesn't get caught in a carwash.

The only things that caught me off guard were (1) pulling out the center vents there's nowhere to get a good grip, so I carefully pried out the bottom and was able to do so without damaging the plastic; (2) the doghouse took a little more squeezing and tugging than expected but it came out; and (3) I left the car sitting outside for almost an hour and never was able to tune my channels. I finally gave up, put the car in the garage and went to bed figuring I'd try a refresh the next morning. When I got up everything was working so maybe it needed a power cycle to take effect or something.

I stuck the XM units under the doghouse basically like the poster in the XM thread did (BIG thanks for posting those pics!). The only thing I did differently was that I crammed foam around the units to prevent future vibration.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I flew out of town this weekend and left my car in the parking garage at the airport. When I got back Monday evening, I noticed my XM reception was terrible (like before I moved it to the trunk).
I thought that somebody may have messed with my antenna while parked in the garage.

Well, I just got an email from XM saying that one of the satellites went off-line Monday and should be back today.
I was releaved to hear that it was not my system!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer added XM to my radio and put the antenna behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror. I barely noticed it. I haven't had the car long enough to determine reception quality.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

On Monday my signal was fading every time I drove under a tree and I thought perhaps I'd been wrong about putting the antenna on the rear package shelf. So I spent over an hour installing it outside on the rear trunk lid right in front of the third brake light. I took it out for a test drive and lo and behold the signal quality still sucked. I came back inside, really annoyed, and found out about the XM outage after about 3 seconds with my good friend Google. On the plus side, I like how the antenna looks on the trunk lid and after seeing all the pics of tinted windows in this forum, I'm thinking I might get it done and I won't have to spring for the ceramic stuff.

For those who care, I routed the wire along the driver's side trunk support, brought it in through the fold down seat, then tucked it between the door sill and the carpet. Once it reached under the driver's seat, I tucked it under the carpet split up to the center console. Then I just ran it back under the doghouse and plugged it in. There wasn't a lot of excess wire using this route. It's no professional installation but it's hidden so it'll work for me.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Enthusiast

Here it is, i got the pictures of my XM antenna location. Works great, signal is strong. Looks great, I think Toyota should install them in my location at the factory. I like the look, let me know what do you think.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Best Place For XM Antenna

I think that it looks fine. Your rims look even better. What are your modifications Tim? That is one hot looking Camry.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

Hello Ormond , Check out this thread with more of my TCH pictures
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...339#post128339

Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast

Daare,
Is your XM radio antenna actually on the mirror? Let us know how your reception is. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 AM
Enthusiast

OverEager,

The antenna is attached to the inside of the wind shield behind the passenger side of the rear view mirror. I've had the car for 3 weeks and reception is great. My last car had an outside antenna and I haven't noticed any difference in reception. The downside of a magnet outside antenna is it moves around in a car wash and leaves scatches in the wax. Overall, I prefer the inside mount.

Daare