Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Bluetooth microphone weak (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/bluetooth-microphone-weak-11021/)

glevine 11-15-2006 05:49 AM

Bluetooth microphone weak

I have a 2007 TCH with bluetooth matching and working with a Treo 700w from Verizon. Basic function is fine except that calls say my voice is very distant. First of all, where is the microphone? Second, is there a volume control? Is anyone else having this problem? Advice?

G

Big-Foot 11-15-2006 05:56 AM

Re: Bluetooth microphone weak

I believe the microphone is at the Rear View Mirror.

I've not had any problems with mine - Treo-700P (Palm vs. Windows)

My wife (who - like all wives - is a good critic) tells me that I do sound like I am talking from within an empty room but that she can hear me clearly.

I don't know if there is a way to adjust the gain on the microphone or not.

hamm3r 11-15-2006 07:34 AM

The problem with speakerphone-type systems is that there is a tradeoff to avoid feedback when it comes to noise in the background. If you are in the TCH and you hear a noisy background on the distant end, the system will likely cancel out or lower your volume in order to avoid feedback.

Feedback would occur if, for instance, your wife is speaking to you and her voice is picked up by the TCH microphone and transmitted back to her. So if there is any bit of noise that you can hear coming from the distant end, you may have sound quality issues.

Loonbeam 11-15-2006 08:37 AM

The mic is located in the panel with the reading lights/homelink. I find I kind of have to talk in the direction of that panel to get clarity.

SPL 11-15-2006 12:34 PM

That's correct — the microphone is in the Homelink panel. You can see the small slots behind which it lurks. I believe that there is a dealer adjustment that can be made to the microphone's sensitivity. You might want to try that possibility.

Stan

kluken 11-15-2006 07:49 PM

Most people I call complain of me being low, and I typically have a loud voice. I also fine the Voice Recognition is far worse than my old TL, the Camry mixes up words all the time. Acrua had the bluetooth thing better implememented.

SPL 11-16-2006 10:16 AM

If you have the Nav package, there are adjustments available for both "send" volume and "receive" volume on one of the settings screens. [I don't know about the non-Nav package.]

Stan

martinmzfan 11-16-2006 01:07 PM

The BT voice recognition software does a lousy job picking up numerals via "Dial by Number" command. But, the mic could explain this issue... I wish there were more things we could adjust ourselves instead of going to the stealership for petty adjustments here and there. BTW, I don't have Nav.

piotr_gluchowski 12-21-2006 03:56 PM

I have the same problem in my Toyota RAV4 with DVD navigation. The microphone is also near the homelink buttons and it doesn't work as it should. I hear everybody very clearly but nobody hears me well. If I want someone to hear me I have to shout, it's really annoying and this bluetooth handsfree is useless!!! Have You found any solution to this problem? I was told in Toyota ASO that there is no regulation for microphone, but I am not sure if they know what they are saying.

jay_man2 12-21-2006 04:16 PM

My RX 330 had a similar setup to my Camry, and everyone on the other end has been impressed with the quality of the call using the handsfree in the Camry.