Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

Does anyone else think that the amount of brake pedal travel needed to illuminate the brake lights seems unusually high?

I have noticed that I can see the Center High Mounted Stop Light in certain lighting conditions as it reflects on the back window.

I am troubled by the fact that I can actually press the brake pedal down past the point that i can feel my speed being reduced before that brake light comes on. I am concerned that I might get rear ended by someone who isn't paying attention.

I am also curious if the same switch that activates the brake lights might be the one that cancels the cruise control when you press the brake. The cruise control doesn't shut down without a significant amount of pressure on the pedal (at least compared to all of my previous vehicles).

Does anyone know if this is something that can be adjusted by a dealer? I don't want to look like an idiot if I complain to the dealer about this! I think others have complained about the issues with the cruise control in previous threads some time ago...

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

I've come to like that little area of 'play' between depressing the brake pedal and the light going off. When traveling down long grades it's nice to engage the regenerative braking system (to send extra charge to the batteries) without triggering the brake lights.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Causes a problem with cruise control too. I dislike it.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes to answer your question about the CC, if you do not depress the brake far enough, you will feel the car surge to make up the lost speed, putting the driver in a situation where much more brake pressure will be required. I've had the most problem when someone cut in front of me on the interstate, and I intend to slow the car a bit to allow room. Instead the car slows a bit, then quickly accerlates to make up the lost speed. Not sure what can be done, other than to be aware of the fact and be sure to fully press the brake everytime to pause the CC.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I haven't noticed the break light issue but I have noticed the CC issue. Neither issue is a big deal to me...Just push on the break a little harder. For the CC issue you can also just pull the CC "joystick" foward to cancel the CC. No biggie.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

I made the comment a long time ago, and someone responded that there is no way you can induce regenerative braking without the brake lights coming on. I just don't buy that statement. Yes there is a long pedel travel before the brake lights come on. I kinda like it because I don't constantly flash my brake lights when I am just slightly riding the regenerative braking, and I can bleed a little bit of speed without making people think I am really slowing down very fast.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I kinda like it because I don't constantly flash my brake lights when I am just slightly riding the regenerative braking, and I can bleed a little bit of speed without making people think I am really slowing down very fast.
I agree. It is a tad bit annoying to see someone riding their brakes. You don't know if they are going to slow down to make a turn or if they are just bleeding off some speed. Around here you can never tell because most people in this area have never heard of a turn signal...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Have a look at my Post #37 in the thread "Cruise Control - Complaints Filed." You'll find a description and documents there that explain how the brake light switching and cruise control disabling are done. Perhaps your TCHs have misadjusted brake light switch assemblies.

Stan

Old 02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Camry Freak

I too have noticed this, and I was really shocked at how much braking force can be applied before the lights go on. I can back into my garage without ever having the lights go on.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

On most cars the switch has a slide adjustment that is activated when the forward travel of the pedal touches it. Not sure on the TCH since honestly I have not crawled under the dash yet to take a look at anything (getting too old

It should be a simple adjustment or your dealer may be able to adjust it.

On another note, I prefer to pull back on the cc lever to de-activate it. That seems much easier in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands