Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 05:57 AM
Banned
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse

Originally Posted by JasperPearlMomma
Thank you so much for your replies. Geez, I wish I had visited this forum BEFORE buying the car. My comute is 1) 2.5 miles long, 2) full of hills, and 3) in Minnesota. Grrr!

What do I do now?
Yes, that would be a "perfect storm" for bad fuel economy in any vehicle. Consider that whatever you had would get even worse.

When it warms up, try a relatively long flat 20-mile run - you should like the results.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 04-15-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Enthusiast

I'll second the "short trip" posts, because I have the opposite -- my commute is 47 miles each way, most of it highway. Even going through the foothills and over the Blue Ridge Mountains, my long trip and highway commute net me 38 MPG without thinking about it, and my best tank (of only four thus far) was 39.5 MPG.

So, it seems like the best idea would be to move far, far away from your job, like me! (I'm kidding! I'm kidding!)

Old 04-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Enthusiast

tnsig is right!

I actually think I get better mileage on hills than straight stretches by practicing that method. The traction battery charges better on hills and that forces EV mode easier.
TomS

Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't know there were hills in Minnesota!

Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, so I've been putting your advice to work. I went out for a longer spin today, and I practiced trying to get it to "E", coaxing it up the hills and coasting down as much as I can (you're right, not too many hills in MN, I just happen to live on one!).

It was the first time that I've ever seen any bars on the "Econo" chart or whatever it is (you know, the one that has the 25/30/35/40 numbers and the horizontal bar graph?) Until now, it had never shown any bars whatsoever and I thought it was just a useless, non-interactive display!

I also got an "excellent," which floored me. That was my first time feeling the joy of my hybrid. Obviously I just need to move farther away from work! Either that or bike to work and only drive for longer trips. I'm hoping that as it gets broken in and as I get better at using these tips, my stats will improve even on the way to work, though. I'm up to 26.6 mpg for this tank, which is better than where I was at, at least.

The only thing that bums me out is that it's not necessarily better than another vehicle, since I probably would have bought a smaller car if I hadn't gotten the hybrid. A Jetta gets 25 mpg, for example (and is a lot cheaper!). Oh well--I'm stuck now. Gotta make the best of it!

Thanks everyone...let me know if you have further thoughts.

Sabrina

Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JasperPearlMomma
Ok, so I've been putting your advice to work. I went out for a longer spin today, and I practiced trying to get it to "E", coaxing it up the hills and coasting down as much as I can (you're right, not too many hills in MN, I just happen to live on one!).

It was the first time that I've ever seen any bars on the "Econo" chart or whatever it is (you know, the one that has the 25/30/35/40 numbers and the horizontal bar graph?) Until now, it had never shown any bars whatsoever and I thought it was just a useless, non-interactive display!

I also got an "excellent," which floored me. That was my first time feeling the joy of my hybrid. Obviously I just need to move farther away from work! Either that or bike to work and only drive for longer trips. I'm hoping that as it gets broken in and as I get better at using these tips, my stats will improve even on the way to work, though. I'm up to 26.6 mpg for this tank, which is better than where I was at, at least.

The only thing that bums me out is that it's not necessarily better than another vehicle, since I probably would have bought a smaller car if I hadn't gotten the hybrid. A Jetta gets 25 mpg, for example (and is a lot cheaper!). Oh well--I'm stuck now. Gotta make the best of it!

Thanks everyone...let me know if you have further thoughts.

Sabrina
In order to get an excellent on the econo chart you need to get at least 35 MPG during that trip. So that is excellent. Since your current tank of gas reflects such a low MPG it's going to take time to build up or increase your MPG on this tank of gas. But realize you have the capability of getting 35+ MPG. That's great. Now that you have some techniques wait until your next tank of gas...you should see a definite improvement.

I live in east TN and we have a lot of hills. I'm getting at least 7-10 MPG's better than my Honda civic (which is what I traded in for my TCH). I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that the Jetta will get 25 MPG? Maybe you used to own one or maybe that's what the sticker says? Unless you are basing the 25 MPG on first hand experience you have no way of knowing what you would actually get driving the Jetta under the same conditions as your TCH. Maybe you have first hand experience...I don't know. I really believe your next tank of gas will show considerable improvement now that you have a few techniques.

I don't know your financial situation but you can always trade in your TCH for a Jetta or whatever and take a little bit of a loss? No point in being unhappy for the next 5-6 years (or whenever you decided to get rid of it). Life it too short to be unhappy.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

I had an SUV that gave me 14 MPG. Now, I am in a similar situation with gas mileage during 'daily driving' that gets me lower than the average MPG than other people. My commute is only 10 miles one way. What makes things even more interesting is the data that we get from our trip computers so we actually see the MPG and other stats.

However, given that the EPA estimates have differed from real driving conditions, it is comforting to know that your mileage will be better than any of the conventional ICE driven vehicles.

If and when you have a long drive, you will notice better mileage. I got up to 37 MPH driving about 75 MPH in hilly driving.

I typically look at the fuel consumption graphs and can see the MPG inversely proportional to the incline (Higher inclines, lower MPG).

Some things that I do:
Use Cruise control when it is safe to do so
Using the Fan (over AC)
No sudden accelerations or decelerations

Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

Hang in there Sabrina...I live among very steep hills too, in a cold weather area, and have a short commute. I drive about half and half though city vs highway, and do make a lot of long trips. For whatever it's worth, my car seems to be getting around 35-36 mpg over my first 5000 miles. When it is cold and I just drive locally, the mpg seems worse, when it warms up and or when driving long trips on highways, the mpg improves. My best tank ever is showing as 41.1 mpg. Even allowing for my car's inherent tendency to 'boast' a bit (to consistently overestimate my mpg by a few miles), that is still sufficient for me. I used to get around 23-24 mpg in my Honda CR-V, so this is a huge improvement in my opinion. The car is living up to my expectations in many ways, and exceeding them in the rest. I have changed my driving habits to become a more moderate driver than I used to be, but not to the point of fanaticism, and I do have my lapses, which is why you'll be able to see my mileage graph fluctuating with each new tank.

Hope you ultimately find it was a smart and enjoyable choice. At least you'll know you've made a really concerted effort to turn it into that, whether or not you decide it is the car for you after 6 months to a year of ownership. The good news too is that resale value of Toyota and other hybrids seems to be wonderfully high compared to non hybrids.

Best wishes,

Last edited by swvsings; 04-16-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: a typo
Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Dazed and Confused

If my commute was only 2.5 miles one way, I would be driving the biggest dirtiest most fuel inefficient trucks on the face of the earth. And it would not be that bad because 5 miles a day is almost no vehicle usage at all.

If I had a commute that short, there is no way I would have ever thought about getting a hybrid. The payback for the better fuel economy would take way too long. I got mine because I commute 58 miles one way. With that I get between 35-40 MPG.

About the only thing you could add to your commute to get worse mileage is a stiff head wind. I got one of my worst tank averages this weekend. I was driving 75 - 80 MPH into a 20 - 30 MPH head wind, and I averaged 35 MPG on the tank. I don't think that is too bad considering the conditions.

The only thing I think is funny, is people are telling you to drive more to get better mileage, but driving more burns more fuel, which is exactly what you don't want to do. Taking a trip that is wanted is one thing, but driving to just get your average up is silly.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

Sabrina,

This morning it was cool (in the 40's) and it took me about 10 mile to get the ECO gauge above 35 on 45 mph roads, but in the afternoon it was warm (in the 70s) and it only took me about 3 miles to max out the ECO guage. I think you will see much better mileage in the summer half of the year. During the winter all cars run richer to deal with the cold temps. I'll bet a Jetta wouldn't come near 25 mpg on a short commute in a MN winter as it would never get to full operating temp either. You are probably getting a little better mpg on your daily commute and a lot better on any trips or errands around town. Enjoy your car and when the plug-in hybrid comes to the marketplace trade up, you may never have to buy gas again!

Brian

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands