Buying a Camry Hybrid vs. a non-Hybrid, does it make financial sense?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Buying a Camry Hybrid vs. a non-Hybrid, does it make financial sense?

Originally Posted by Bono
I am thinking I will trade-in this car anyway in two years time
With this statement alone shows you don't care too much how much it costs. Trading a car in after 1 or 2 years is the fastest way to lose money on the deal, hybrid or not. So just buy what you like. The trick is to decide is if you would like driving the TCH more than a similar regular Camry.

For me I love the CVT setup. I would be very resistant to buying another new car with a regular automatic transmission again.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying a Camry Hybrid vs. a non-Hybrid, does it make financial sense?

Originally Posted by MTF
I'm not going to argue the financials between the two cars (well not directly), but that is because I finally got through the whole dealer thing about a week ago. There are some other things to take into consideration, these ended up being very important to me and may sway you one way or another. The little things like how quiet the hybrid is, especially running in electric mode, I find the transmission incredibly smooth and actually enjoy that quite a bit (my trade in was a ten year old manual), a little goofy, but I love the smart key thing, I get a kick out of opening the doors and starting the car with the key just in my pocket. Now these little pieces certainly have a financial aspect to them and you could run numbers, but when it comes down to it I get a big grin every time I think about heading out somewhere.

Or take into consideration the little things and assign a monetary value to them. I suspect that the difference between a decked LE and Hybrid isn't nearly a big as first glance.

Of course both are camry's so I don't think you can go wrong with either decision, I just know that I am really happy with my TCH.

-MT
I think the keyless feature is standard or at least available on all Camry models. It is just the electric engine that makes the difference.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To add to what's already been said, I think that there are a couple of other things that you should take into account in the pricing comparison:
  • The hybrid is peppier than the base model's 4-cylinder ICE. In many respects it's fairer to compare it to the V6.
  • The standard features of the hybrid (e.g., SmartKey, stability control, ...) compare more closely to the Camry V6 XLE than to the 4-cylinder base model.
Stan

Old 06-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
With this statement alone shows you don't care too much how much it costs. Trading a car in after 1 or 2 years is the fastest way to lose money on the deal, hybrid or not. So just buy what you like. The trick is to decide is if you would like driving the TCH more than a similar regular Camry.

For me I love the CVT setup. I would be very resistant to buying another new car with a regular automatic transmission again.
By trading it in I meant I am going to upgrade. That is only if there are better hybrids available by then, If not there is no point for doing so. Honestly I am not too impressed by Camry's mileage, but if that 90 MPG with the new battery turns out to be true (in 2010?!) I will buy it even if it is a Prius!

Chao

Old 06-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13

Couldn't agree more here. I know people who love getting new car every two or three years or so. They generally lease. The argument is that you have low maintainence costs and you always have a new car. Fair enough.

But I'm too cheap for that. My two cars before they both died were a '95 4runner (blew the head gasket) and a '89 Volvo 240 DL (sucking up too much money but ran great at 240K miles). I expect to keep my current two replacement cars (Rav4 and TCH) for as many years.

Now, as I ramble on, I think that if you're going to sell the car in two years and saving money is your primary goal, if I were you I'd get a slightly used BMW or Mercedes or some other luxury car like that. You'll pay as much as a new Camry, have a luxury car, and won't lose much on resale.

--benny

Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This is what I am looking at on carsdirect.com for zip code 94102

Camry Hybrid
$28,069 -> Options: Nav system, leather heated seats and sunroof

Camry LE

$23,110 -> $20,609 Options: Auto transmission and moonroof. The options for the nav system and leather seats won't show up but I confirmed I can get them for around $2,500 more.
Hmm... that doesn't quite work.

What about:
- 16" alloys
- dual-zone auto A/C w/ plasmacluster
- rear seatback pockets
- rear vents
- JBL Audio
- VDIM
- Acoustic windshield
- audio and climate satellite controls on steering wheel
- LED tail/brake lights
- trip computer
- outside temp. gauge
- SKS (Smart Key System)
- leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
- auto-dimming mirror w/ compass
- cargo net
- blue-tinted headlights
- satin-finished grille with chrome surround (which IMO makes the front end a bit more sophisticated)

If you want, you could buy a barely used Camry to tide you over til the next Prius. Or buy a used Prius first?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM

Here's consumer guides comparison of the different Camry configurations.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...ta-camry-5.htm

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

Consumer Guide uses 28.5mpg. This site's database is averaging 36+mpg. When you redo the calculations that way and throw in the tax rebates the comparison becomes quite different. To me it was a no-brainer. Give up a bit of steering feel and throttle response to save big. I have found that when you really want to go the TCH is very quick and responsive. The handling is lazy but you don't buy a car of this type to race around. My opinion is that this car makes you change the way you drive and you become accustomed to a more relaxed pace.

Besides I didn't figure in my calculations the major savings I'll get from less speeding tickets. Now, those can add up to real money....

Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 AM

I think the keyless feature is standard or at least available on all Camry models. It is just the electric engine that makes the difference.
This is incorrect...it is standard (SKS) on the hybrid and an option on the XLE model. This isn't available on the LE model.

Another thing you may want to consider is the hybrid has more overall horsepower than the LE. There have also been some concerns with the transmission on the 4 and 6 cylinder non hybrid cars. I don't know if that has been fixed yet but it's something to consider. The CVT transmission is really nice...

Last edited by tnsig; 06-14-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Hmm... that doesn't quite work.

What about:
- 16" alloys
- dual-zone auto A/C w/ plasmacluster
- rear seatback pockets
- rear vents
- JBL Audio
- VDIM
- Acoustic windshield
- audio and climate satellite controls on steering wheel
- LED tail/brake lights
- trip computer
- outside temp. gauge
- SKS (Smart Key System)
- leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****
- auto-dimming mirror w/ compass
- cargo net
- blue-tinted headlights
- satin-finished grille with chrome surround (which IMO makes the front end a bit more sophisticated)

If you want, you could buy a barely used Camry to tide you over til the next Prius. Or buy a used Prius first?
This about sums it all up. Plus I think there is still a $650 tax credit if you buy before the end of September (I think it's September...)

Quick Reply: Buying a Camry Hybrid vs. a non-Hybrid, does it make financial sense?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands