Camry Insurance Institute for Highway safety crash tests

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Camry Insurance Institute for Highway safety crash tests

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/08/04/iihs_crash_tests/
The redesigned 2007 Toyota Camry earned the top score of "Good" in side and front crash tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway safety.

Like the Camry, the Rav4 earned "Good" ratings for front and side crash protection.

Neither car earned a "Top Safety Pick" award from the Institute, however, because of "Marginal" ratings for whiplash protection in rear impacts.

The Insurance Institute's four possible ratings for the front, side and rear whiplash protection tests are "Good," "Acceptable," "Marginal," and "Poor."

"Front and side crashes usually are more serious, but rear impacts are more common and the neck injuries that result can be debilitating," said Lund. "This is the most common injury reported in motor vehicle crashes." To measure rear impact whiplash protection, the Institute measures the height and shape of the headrest to see if it would, theoretically, protect an average sized man.
Beware hypermilers. If you are a rock in the stream of traffic trying to get highest MPG you may be begging for a whiplash injury.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Insurance Institute for Highway safety crash tests

I was very disappointed to see the rear-end collision test rated only "marginal". I guess the fact that the headrests don't tilt may have reduced the score. One thing I loved about my Passat was the tilting range of the headrest. I will say, though, that the Carmy headrests just HAPPENS to fit me pretty well, so I am hopeful that my protection would be a bit better should I ever be rear-ended. Of course, if anyone else happens to be driving my car, then "marginal" may have greater meaning.