Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm going to have to agree with Dang on this one. The federal program is an incentive rebate program, not a tax rebate program such as the one run by the Ontario provincial govt (and others perhaps). And as a Canadian govt program, it makes sense that it would limit the program to sales from Canadian businesses (like all things political, there is never a single motive).
I still have to disagree, at least with part of what you are saying. Regardless of whether the rebate is intended to be a parital refund of GST, or just a straight payment, it is clearly designed to encourage Canadian drivers to buy fuel-efficient vehicles, not to promote Canadian business:

"As part of the Government of Canada’s plan to protect the environment, the ecoAUTO Rebate Program encourages Canadians to buy fuel-efficient vehicles. How? It offers rebates from $1000 to $2000, to people who, beginning March 20, 2007, buy or enter a long-term lease (12 months or more) for a fuel-efficient vehicle."

Further, in the FAQ: "Why is the Government of Canada proposing this rebate program? The Government of Canada is proposing the Rebate Program to help consumers help the environment."

The regulation that the vehicle must "have been purchased from a Canadian dealership" is arbitrary in the context of the stated goal of the program.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's worth trying, and best of luck to you.

Consider my point of view. I own a TCH, and a smart, both of which are listed as qualifying for a rebate, and I DID buy in Canada (so all those corporate taxes, etc. went to our government).

So, why do I get absolutly nothing in the form of rebates?

The answer is because I bought both of them before the rebates came into effect. If the govt wanted to 'expand' the program, the first thing that would probably be fair to do is to allow cars purchased before the March date to qualify before they allow other countries vehicles. After all, if it were totally about helping the environment, I've arguably done more than the people getting the rebates towards that goal by driving a fuel efficient car since Jan. 2005 (in the case of the smart) and June 2006 (in the case of the TCH). *I'm of course assuming your previous car got less fuel economy.

The real reason of course is it's supposed to be an incentive to buy a fuel efficient car. Knowing the rebate did not apply to you, you bought one out of the U.S., so clearly the "incentive" didn't work in your case, even though the result was the same. Of course the fact you probably saved about $10k was probably a pretty good "incentive" all on it's own.

Govt and logic go together like gas and matches of course....

Later!

Dang

Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First, let me clarify one thing. I bought my car in Canada, and I had already made my decision before the rebate came into effect, or even before I knew there was going to be one. I was fortunate in that the rebate was announced before I made my actual purchase.

I agree with your point of view that you should be eligible for the rebate as well. I think that the program should have been retroactive for some period - since they are allowing some 2006 models in the program, at least as far back as when those models became available.

As to allowing cars purchased in the US, my position is very straightforward. It should not matter where in the world the car was purchased. If it is being registered and driven in Canada, then if it meets the eligibility requirements as they pertain to the stated reason for the program, then there is no excuse not to offer the rebate.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm going to have to agree with Dang on this one. The federal program is an incentive rebate program, not a tax rebate program such as the one run by the Ontario provincial govt (and others perhaps). And as a Canadian govt program, it makes sense that it would limit the program to sales from Canadian businesses (like all things political, there is never a single motive). I also think that Toyota Canada should have the right to charge whatever they want for their cars, $100,000CAD for a TCH if they like! The only thing I don't agree is any back door deals to attempt to "prevent" someone from buying a car in the US if that is what they want to do. If the price is low enough in the US to make it worth your while, that is your incentive program.
I knew before buying the car that I wont get anything from federal rebate, but the price difference was enough to encourage me to shop south of border. I got the provincial rebate today, which only aggravate me, as both these programs run parrallel and are supposedly designed to reduce pollution and improve the environment. What difference it makes who sell it, while the product is identical.
Futher I dont agree with Dang that businesses pay hefty taxes, on other hand they get hefty grants. I dont want to go there as it has nothing to do with environment. It only makes a difference where the product was produced, and thats where the bulk of $$ ends. I imported the car under NAFTA, which encourages free trade. I see the tires made in Canada, and perhapes so are the rest of components. Will try to contact the transport minister again.

Last edited by crasher; 10-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:19 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by crasher
these programs run parrallel and are supposedly designed to reduce pollution and improve the environment. What difference it makes who sell it, while the product is identical.
I can certainly understand the purity of your reasoning, but there is no purity in govt. I notice the program also offers $1000 rebates for 4 E85 flex fuel cars. 99.9% of these cars will never run anything except gasoline and they get terrible FE. I suspect these guys were added more as an olive branch to GM Canada and the fact that 2 of them, the Impala and Monte Carlo are built in Canada. The only environmental benefit provided by these two cars is the economic environment of southern Ont.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

The program guidelines for the Eco-Rebate states "An acknowledgment letter will be issued upon receipt of complete applications". Just curious if anyone has received this letter yet. They also state that information regarding the status of applicationscan can be obtained by calling the 1-866 # listed but when I called they said that this feature would not be available for at least a month. Maybe too early but like I said, just curious!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ookpik
The program guidelines for the Eco-Rebate states "An acknowledgment letter will be issued upon receipt of complete applications". Just curious if anyone has received this letter yet. They also state that information regarding the status of applicationscan can be obtained by calling the 1-866 # listed but when I called they said that this feature would not be available for at least a month. Maybe too early but like I said, just curious!
Even if I am not eligible, I still sent out the rebate form, and got their acknowledgement. Which doesnt mean that I am going to get the rebate.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

I mailed my application out on the day it was launched but still have not received an acknowledgment from them.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

Even if I am not eligible, I still sent out the rebate form, and got their acknowledgement. Which doesnt mean that I am going to get the rebate.
Crasher Why would you not be eligible?

Originally Posted by donvaz
I mailed my application out on the day it was launched but still have not received an acknowledgment from them.
Donvaz I sent mine out a few days after the program was launched but I have seen mail take over two weeks within my Province (Ont) and this went to Alberta. Reply letter can sit in the mail for a while also. I guess just sit and wait!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast

Crasher I did not see your earlier posts when I asked why you would not be eligible. Now I know why!

Quick Reply: Canadian Eco Rebate -Now accepting applications

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands