Certain cellphones don't work in new hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Certain cellphones don't work in new hybrid

I have a very expensive cellphones at Sony Erickson P.900 series. I just learn today from Toyota to my phone is not compatible with the blue tooth

in my new 07 Toyota Camry hybrid. a while I guess all live without the great feature of having my phone integrated into the car. come to think of it maybe I'll buy myself a new phone!

BB cableguy

Old 06-08-2006, 05:17 AM
Brian5499
Default Re: Certain cellphones don't work in new hybrid

Even though they claim that you can't use it, I would try anyway. As long as you have bluetooth that can be enabled on your phone, who knows...you might get lucky. Just dont get confused when you have to "pair" your phone with the car.

Worst case is that you cant use your p.900 and you can buy a cheap crappy bluetooth phone on ebay and switch out sim cards when you take long trips...thats kind of a pain but if you want to keep your sony theres not much else you can do. It may be possible for the cell retailer you have to program you a new duplicate sim card. I dont know if they will or not.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burt Bochner
I have a very expensive cellphones at Sony Erickson P.900 series. I just learn today from Toyota to my phone is not compatible with the blue tooth
Is your Sony phone bluetooth and it just won't work with the TCH? Or is it not bluetooth and that's why it won't work?

I'm interested because I may purchase a bluetooth phone and of course I want to be sure it'll work with the TCH. I've been to Toyota's bluetooth site but I still have to check to see if my cellular provider (Verizon) has any of their recommended phones.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I posted these questions in Howard Forums, which is a cellular bulletin board. The two threads are:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=929013

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=929012

It sounds like the phones will work, but you (and I) will have to manually transfer the phone books. I can live with that.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Certain cellphones don't work in new hybrid

I use a very obscure phone (HTC Universal/iMate JasJar) primarily targeted at Europe and the Mid-East. I am waiting for my TCH (due today or tommorow). Several months ago, I test drove a new Prius, w/ Nav. The bluetooth functionality worked flawlessly for dialing and recieveing, but I did not try the address book sync stuff. Bluetooth headset/hands free profiles are pretty standard, my guess is they tested certain phones explicitly, and those are on the list. But anything that adheres to the spec should work.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gc77584
Is your Sony phone bluetooth and it just won't work with the TCH? Or is it not bluetooth and that's why it won't work?

I'm interested because I may purchase a bluetooth phone and of course I want to be sure it'll work with the TCH. I've been to Toyota's bluetooth site but I still have to check to see if my cellular provider (Verizon) has any of their recommended phones.

I too have Verizon and my VX9800 works flawlessy with the TCH bluetooth.

However, when I want to transfer my contact via vcard it won't let me transfer all the contacts at once or transfer each group at once. The VX9800 can only transfer vcard for each contact (1 by 1) to the TCH. I wish there was some way I can get around that. Maybe the software update (version 2) of the VX9800 might do it. I don't know does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!